Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B5 Lowering Spring Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 01:22 AM
1st Gear
Default B5 Lowering Spring Advice?

Hey guys,
Ive been thinking about lowering my 2.8 Quattro B5 with H n' N springs. Do i have to have some one professionally swap the springs? If so how much. And i heard that lowering your car even1 1/4 inches will throw off the camber and caster and they need to be adjusted...this true?

Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: B5 Lowering Spring Advice?

If you have the tools for the job it isnt that hard, but if not or your not comfortable doing it, take it somewhere. You are looking at about $250 for the install and then $60 for the alignment. Plus you dont want to just add in springs, you will kill the shocks quickly. You will need to add in some bilstien or koni shocks that can handle the drop, so expect to pay another $400 for shocks/struts

Old 11-25-2007, 08:22 PM
2nd Gear

I installed my own H&R racing springs, it was fairly easy but then again ive done plenty of work on cars so we new what we were doing. If you have power tool you will love yourself. I hate not having bilstien shocks though, just the springs its one bouncy ride exp on rt. 95 going down to baltimore. WOOAh not even when im in baltimore can't even tell you i feel like im on a trapoline bouncing off the road.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

ive installed lowering springs in my a4 and a 2000 VW passat (same front suspension as the a4), in both cases the pinch bolt was a mother******. if you plan on doing it yourself, pneumatic tools really help. actually i dont know how i would have gotten them out without an air chizzle.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:38 PM
4th Gear

if you are installing it yourself.. dont touch that mother ******* pinch bolt

there are three bolts in the strut tower that hold the strut in, you can just take them out, and drop the shock assembly out, and dont even have to touch the pinch bolt

Old 11-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Good to know.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: Lazer Viking

if you are installing it yourself.. dont touch that mother ******* pinch bolt

there are three bolts in the strut tower that hold the strut in, you can just take them out, and drop the shock assembly out, and dont even have to touch the pinch bolt
[sm=icon_rofl.gif]@ Jonus

Old 11-25-2007, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

defe was a b*tch to swap springs, and yes please have the right tools. I swapped just my springs with Tein H-Tech, 1.5 Front and 1.2 Rear (somewhere around there) and I don't get too bad of a ride really. I'm not bouncing around or anything. And yes it will throw your camber off so an alignment is needed.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

lol i guess i just need to find out myself about the bouncing. some say your on a trampoline and others say its not bad at all. maby 01audia4 you installed really stiff springs?

Old 11-26-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm make believe

could also be the age of the stock springs before the install. Its best to spend money now and doing it once. And for the cost of bilstien/konis with springs, your about the same as just getting some tein coilovers.

Quick Reply: B5 Lowering Spring Advice?