Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery keeps getting drain "test" question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:03 AM
1st Gear
Default battery keeps getting drain "test" question

ive been having problems where the battery keep getting drain. Ive heard, to test where the drainage is coming from you hook up a volt meter to the postive battery side and ground the the other wire. Then you start pulling one fuse at a time to check to see if the voltage drops. which ever fuse you pull and the volt drops the most that is the source of the drainage problem. true or not?

NOTE: the after market system is not hooked up.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Default RE: battery keeps getting drain "test" question

that is true that works have u changed ur battery because it could be dead cells in the battery

Old 12-13-2007, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ek4__

ive been having problems where the battery keep getting drain. Ive heard, to test where the drainage is coming from you hook up a volt meter to the postive battery side and ground the the other wire. Then you start pulling one fuse at a time to check to see if the voltage drops. which ever fuse you pull and the volt drops the most that is the source of the drainage problem. true or not?

NOTE: the after market system is not hooked up.
Using a voltmeter that way will only find a major current draw -- one that would drain the battery really fast. If it doesn't find the problem, you'll have to do it all over again using an ammeter between the negative terminal and ground cable. (Find someone to help if you're not familiar/comfortable with electrical work.)

Have you had the battery and alternator tested? Most major auto parts stores will do it for free.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:17 AM
1st Gear

So when the cars off and all accessories off. get a test light and unhook your battery ground cable. Hook up the ground on the test light to the ground cable and then the psotive of the light to the positive cable thats still attached to the battery. If this lights, then theres something draining it. You have to keep the light on there in place and pull each fuse out one by one, then place it back in,waiting for the light to go out. When you pull a fuse and the light goes out this would mean that one of the particular things on that fuse is draining your battery. Worked for me on my 87 Audi, cant see it not working for you. Give it a shot and someone correct me if those steps are wrong.

ok ive been doing some research myself and i found this post in some other forums. thanks for the feedback and help.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ek4__

So when the cars off and all accessories off. get a test light and unhook your battery ground cable. Hook up the ground on the test light to the ground cable and then the psotive of the light to the positive cable thats still attached to the battery. If this lights, then theres something draining it. You have to keep the light on there in place and pull each fuse out one by one, then place it back in, waiting for the light to go out. When you pull a fuse and the light goes out this would mean that one of the particular things on that fuse is draining your battery. Worked for me on my 87 Audi, cant see it not working for you. Give it a shot and someone correct me if those steps are wrong.
That should work, unless it's a really slow drain that's too small for the test light. In that case you'd have to use an ammeter, instead. Things like the ECU/radio/etc will always be drawing some current, so you'll need to look for the ammeter to change (just like you were originally going to do with a voltmeter). I had to use the ammeter on another car that was hard to start after being parked for a couple days.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

What is the normal amp draw on the battery for a 2004 audi tt 3.2 quattro or where can I get that info?

Old 08-09-2018, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ek4__
So when the cars off and all accessories off. get a test light and unhook your battery ground cable. Hook up the ground on the test light to the ground cable and then the psotive of the light to the positive cable thats still attached to the battery. If this lights, then theres something draining it. You have to keep the light on there in place and pull each fuse out one by one, then place it back in,waiting for the light to go out. When you pull a fuse and the light goes out this would mean that one of the particular things on that fuse is draining your battery. Worked for me on my 87 Audi, cant see it not working for you. Give it a shot and someone correct me if those steps are wrong.

ok ive been doing some research myself and i found this post in some other forums. thanks for the feedback and help.
Not Positive but Negative and value via Ammeter is between 0.02 - 0.4A

Old 10-17-2018, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

I have a with the battery which is about 1 year old. I should note right off the bat that I usually only drive my car on weekends so that might be the problem, though it's been like that for about 4 months and only now am I having an issue. but up coming days have plan to ride regular basis.....

Old 10-20-2018, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

I've also same problem with the getting drain of battery! it's not too much old, which just approx one year have been used..

really unexpected! !!