AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   A bit of trouble shifting. (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/bit-trouble-shifting-84570/)

Skip 12-12-2007 10:23 PM

A bit of trouble shifting.

Ok, so I have been noticing it a bit more now that it is cold, and part of this may be perfectly normal, but I'm gonna ask anyways. When I press the clutch in to shift gears, I have been hearing/feeling what sounds like a dull thud. This also happens when Ilet off the clutch to engage the gear. Is this normal, as it never happened on my Honda (save it, boys:() Another thing is, it's been getting harder and harder to get it into gear from first to second..no grinding or anything, just have to put a decent amount of pressure on the shifter to get it in. This is not the case going into any other gear, but I wouldn't necssarily call them smooth or anything. I dont know what it could be, someone mentioned a tranny flush before, but I don't know if that could be it. Any help would be awesome.

duburban 12-12-2007 10:44 PM

RE: A bit of trouble shifting.

Hard shift between 1st and 2nd during cold weather comes up every winter. It seems to be a characteristic of these trannys. Mine does it too and i've read about more. Search it, i bet youll find something.

duburban 12-12-2007 11:11 PM

Some people say that changing the fluid helps, others don't. So i gotta raise this question again. Will changing the fluid help with this problem? Thanks for the piggy back Skip ;)

Skip 12-13-2007 08:52 AM

Ok, so the shifting thing is common, what about the thud? Common too?

hiwords 12-13-2007 11:21 AM

thud could be you letting the clutch go a bit fast. thedrivetrain is pretty loose on these cars so unless you have extremely well controlled feet, there will always be a little noise. also try double clutching.

bob12312357 12-13-2007 05:57 PM

The viscosity of the fluid causes the notchy and somewhat difficult shifting b4 the car warms up. Every stick i've owned(every car) is like that, especially when the temps drop below 25 or so. Once warmed up for a long bit and shifted around a bit it should greatly improve. That really soft thud is normal for every Audi (all more then a dozen) i've test driven. Really hard 2 feel but it does happen every time its put in first and the clutch is let out,again it's barely noticable.

Skip 12-14-2007 02:57 PM

Sweet...thanks guys.

pimptrooper3000 12-14-2007 03:14 PM

o btw... is it normal when ur driving at about 15-20mph sometimes even less (like 8-12mph)and its pretty much impossible to shift into 1st. why is that. i find it really annoying....but yea i get the hard shifting in the cold and the tuds so i guess its normal.

spectrum 12-14-2007 03:28 PM

I don't understand why audi made shifting so dificult in the cold. I have the same problem 1st to second and almosst stopping to put it in 1st. I recently had transmission repaired and fluid changed with new clutch and still hard. it is anoying

96A4Owner 12-14-2007 03:41 PM

What's double clutching?