Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone knowledgable wite up a DIY for me

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Can someone knowledgable wite up a DIY for me

I attempted to install my dv today, but failed. I tried to go from the hood with no headlight removal and I have no jacks so no attempt from the bottom. I will try next time with rhino ramps and do as the DIY writup on AudiDIY says. Seems rather straight forward, yet I still am not going to remove the headlight. I should be able to do that without removing headlight. Seems that is just for more room to work with.

But as I was doing that, I was looking at how I was going to go about my vent gauge VDO DIY. Took out vent housing (rather simple), looked where I neded to drill and so forth. Rather staight forward. Then I looked to where I was going to place the t-fitting for the boost gauge (front of manifold). That hose was in there very snug. Like perfect length to where it leads to front of manifold. Plus it is rather brittle. So, I went to stealership to see how much if they would install my dv and replace the hose (brittle one on manifold). Eventually, decision was I would do it myself and he was kind enough to give me new hose.

I need someone knowledgable to construct a DIY on how to go about replacing the hose. Theone end of the hose in the pic provided is no problem as you can see. The problem is getting to the other end. I know it is simply remove old hose and replace with new one. But I do not know how to properly get to the other end of the hose. (what bolts to remove, torque specs when placing them back,what to remove to clear way to get to other end, etc). Thanks!

*note- this pic is from DIY forum. I will place pic of mine tommorow as it is night time over here. There is absolutely no slack for me to even attempt to get the t-fitting in.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:03 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Can someone knowledgable wite up a DIY for me

no bolts nessecary, when you crawl under the passenger side of the car, look up behind where the headlight is

if, vac line is clamped, take clamp off, if it is not kust pull it off the nipple on the dv

disconnect the turbo inlet pipe from dv, and the boost tube, from the dv

reconnect everything with the new valve in the same order

Old 12-28-2007, 09:09 PM
2nd Gear

I have the rhino ramps... they make it so much easier

Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 PM
2nd Gear

+1 on what lazer said. It is very sinple and will take about 15 minutes to do. No need for ramps or anything

Old 12-28-2007, 10:37 PM
4th Gear

well, i needed a jack to get under my car, but that a whole nother story

Old 12-28-2007, 11:35 PM
1st Gear

no bolts nessecary, when you crawl under the passenger side of the car, look up behind where the headlight is

if, vac line is clamped, take clamp off, if it is not kust pull it off the nipple on the dv

No, I figured that is what I was going to do with the dv as the attempt to install was a failure as I could not reach it. That is what I am going to get Rhino ramps for. Plus it will be good to have when I do my oil changes, dv maintanance, etc.

I need a write up on how to get to the other side of the hose I circled in pic. It is like under the manifold and can not just reach there with my hands to correct. And I highly doubt I can get there from under the belly. I will have to go from the top of hood. I will have to remove certain things to get easy access to other side of the hose. Take a look at your car and look where the other side of hose ends up. It is right there. You can see it, just can not reach it for clean replacement. I will have to move certain things to the side to be able to reach it. I will have to unbolt some things and will need torque specs to place bolts back.

I am ordering boost gauge next month and am installing myself. I can not do that until I replace this line. I will place pics tommorw of how snug the line is. There is absolutely no slack for me to be able to cut and place t fitting. The line is hugging around the manifold.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Lazer Viking

+2. It's much easier to get at the DV from under the car, rather than taking out the headlight. The factory one-time-use clamps are a PITA to get off. All I did, was to wedge a small flathead screwdriver between the top & bottom parts (where that one piece sticks up to hold the clamp in place). Just pry that sucker apart. Once you figure out how to get the first one off, the second & third one are much faster to get off. I unclamped the first two from under the car, and then fed the factory DV up to the top of the car (while connected to the vac line), so I can have a better angle at getting the smaller vac line clamp off. Installation is just the opposite of removal.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:55 AM
1st Gear

Understand, I was just saying about the dv to place my experience with my first time attempt install and how I discovered other dilema of boost guage install problem inevitable. I will attach a pic to this post in a couple minutes. I just woke up couple minutes ago and am currently busy setting up my mother's mp3 player. The hose that I will have to connect the boost gauge vacuum reading line to has no slack for me to be able to just splice into. It maybe has a 3mm slack if that. The one in the pic in my first pic is from DIY site and has like a 6+ inch slack.

I need a write up on how to properly replace that line circled.

*this pic is of the hose that is in there really tight. No slack what so ever. That hose is what I was lanning on tapping the boost gauge line into.

Could I just tap into this hose instead? Would save me a bunch of problems.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:27 AM

why do you need to tap the vac lines to install the dv there should be a vac lin down there from the stock valve

Old 12-29-2007, 10:21 AM
4th Gear

i dont think you understand... unless you want to replace that vacc hose on the mani, then you dont need to splice into the vac hose again.. there is already a vac hose supplied down to the stock dv

Quick Reply: Can someone knowledgable wite up a DIY for me