Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To change my tranny fluid or to not change my tranny fluid... That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:52 PM
4th Gear
Default To change my tranny fluid or to not change my tranny fluid... That is the question.

SO,
My tranny has been acting up a little for a while now. It has been having hard shifts every so often and makes a little whine noise every so often (It was doing this all before my PC-16 upgrade just to let you all know). BUT since I am running more power I want to get the tranny fluid changed. Now I have 96500 miles on the car and I have heard both things saying yes change it and no, don't change it because it will mess it up more. So my question is should I or should I not have it changed. I don't want to have the filter changed (I read that that will mess it up even quicker) but will just having the fluid changed be bad for it? And/or could I just have them top it off? Thanks!

P.S. I want to have this done before I drive the 1200 mile trip back to Spokane in a fully loaded up car.

josh

Old 10-26-2007, 06:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: To change my tranny fluid or to not change my tranny fluid... That is the question.

hmm. i havnt heard too much about it being bad to do? But i had that wineeeee sound you were talking about, the person before me had not been using full synthetic. i changed the filter and oil too full synthetic and it went away, along with making my shifts feel a bit smoothing.
also if your shifts feel hard, like a clunk it could be your tranny mounts.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Default RE: To change my tranny fluid or to not change my tranny fluid... That is the question.

I have never heard that changing fluid is bad for it. I would think it could only be beneficial to get the metal shavings out of there and proper lubrication back in. It should help to save your synchrosas well.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:24 PM

Do it. How could changing fluids be bad? Jsut use a full synthetic of the right weight. I did mine a couple months back with Redline MT90. If anything, it slips into gear a little smoother. I have to try and do the rear differential before it gets too cold.