Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible rear Window

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:04 PM

I JUST bought an 08 A4 cabriolet. I took it to the only Audi dealership on this island last week for a check engine light. They gave me a large list of stuff that was wrong with it, and fixed it all (Good thing it is still under waranty!). When I picked the car back up, it sounded like one of the windows was down... Finally Saturday, I was looking around the car to find out where it was coming from, and the window was just hanging on up top. It was completely disconnected on the sides and bottom. I'm pretty pissed because they washed the car (1/2 *** job) and didn't say anything about it. I'm pretty sure they broke it when they were washing it because it was fine when I brought it in. They won't call back, and it's an hour drive to go down there. They close the same hour I get off work and are closed on the weekends (how convenient). I ended up taking care of it myself with some silicone sealant/adheasive. It was $5 at Kmart and so far it works great

Old 07-29-2010, 02:47 PM
1st Gear
Angry epoxy now used...didn't work

I just tried an epoxy type glue...no luck!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Thumbs up

I highly recomend the silicone sealant. This is what I used (except I used the clear not the black). Still holding strong!

Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 AM

Do you recomend that car?

Old 08-02-2010, 02:57 PM

I do! I bought it used, and there have been a few issues since purchasing, but most likely due to neglect from previous owner. The car itself is great!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:16 PM
1st Gear
Default My top and window are separating, too

Both lower corners have separated, and it leaks when it rains (no garage). I tried gluing it with all-purpose construction adhesive, which supposedly forms a permanent bond. It lasted one day. Mine is a 2004 A4.

I don't know what to do, because now there is dried adhesive to add to the problem. Needless to say, I'm pissed off.

Last edited by CabChick; 09-15-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-16-2010, 03:18 PM
1st Gear
Default windshield epoxy compound on window

I just paid a guy in Toronto to put windshield glue on my back window, which was really bad...fixed so far, about a month and maybe been opened/closed 10 times so far. We'll see how long it lasts, but the guy said he sees many Audi cabriolets and Benz's with this problem.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

Hi guys, I'm new here but actually just tackled this issue over the weekend after doing a TON of research.

I took pics and will try and post, but here's what I did and here's what you'll need:
The new "white" gorilla glue (that dries 2x faster)
Rubbing alcohol
Q tips
Black silicone adhesive/sealing
Razor blade
Plastic gloves
Paper towels
Books
A towel
Paint cans or some kind of weight
2 x 4's

Started off by stacking books on the inside bay with a towel on top. Placing pressure on the back window.

Then I put a piece of leather, but you can use a towel, on the trunk where the chrome strip is. On that I placed about 3 2x4's

Next, I removed what I could of the old adhesion, but left some on,as this glue actually dries as a plastic and the remaining gum will give it something to adhere to.
Using the qtips dipped in alcohol, ran along the area. Let it dry (about a second or two).

Then taking another qtip (this one wet with water) ran along the same area (this helps with the bonding of the gorilla glue).

Now ran a thin bead in a zig zag shape all along the area to be bonded. Remember that this glue expands as it dries, so don't go too crazy.

After this is complete, I then took another large piece of leather (be careful what you use, as if any of this glue leaks out it will bond to whatever is atop it) and spread it over the window, placing books end to end so that the entire seam is covered.

I then placed paint cans all around, using the 2x4's as leverage, so they would not slip.

Gorilla glue says it bonds in like 90 mins at room temp, but I gave it about 36hrs.

I then removed the books, leather (some did expand out past the top) and got to work with my straight edge razor. Carefully cutting it and then scrapping it off.

After completing this I hit it with a black sharpie in a few places. Now I took the black silicone and cut the smallest possible on the end of the nozzle on an angle. Again, carefully is (a word I am using a lot of here) ran a bead all around the window, then ran my finger around it. It is important to use the sealant as the gorilla glue is not water tight.

Then used that razor blade again to scrape any areas the silicone was too messy and hit a couple of ares again.

Whew, sorry for the length of this post. Looks great and I tested it is water tight.

I'll keep you posted.

Joesono

Old 11-09-2010, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Joesono, is your repair still good?

I just called a repair shop. I was told that it is not possible to repair, and that a new top would cost $2,600. No freaking way am I doing that.

I want to call Audi and complain - I have a top problem AND a headlight problem. The headlight are completely clouded. I should not be having these problems in a high-end car. (2004) Anyone have a number for Audi?

Also, as if that's not enough, water leaked into the car through the top, and I could actually hear it sloshing when I hit the breaks. But, I could find no water - I looked in the trunk and in the boot. The rear rugs were a little wet. So where was the sloshing water??

I am so pissed. What would YOU do?
Thanks.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 AM
1st Gear
Default window seal on cabriolet

I took the car to New Image auto in Scarborough, here in Toronto. The guy used black silicone for windshields and it has worked great so far, it's been about 2 months and many rain and wind storms later...

Quick Reply: Convertible rear Window