Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak ('02 A4) - help needed with locating

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Coolant Leak ('02 A4) - help needed with locating

Hello all.

My '02 A4 Quattro 1.8T recently started letting out major amounts of coolant whenever the car sits long enough for the engine to cool completely. The leak stops right away when the car has been turned on for 5 minutes and the engine is warm again.

Link to video clip of leak (sorry for the glare, sun was setting):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ovamfigj3...uVQj0WGIa?dl=0

You can see where the coolant finally drips to the ground, some of it runs down the side of where I am trying to focus the camera at 0:22.

I can not see anything of help when looking down from the hood.

From reading all the other articles here on the same prob, I have a general understanding of which parts are the usual suspects. However, I am hoping that the location of the leak will provide an important clue before I go and break my bank, or at least eliminate a couple of possibilities.

Thank you in advance to all who take a minute to watch and reply.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by howieandersen
Hello all.

My '02 A4 Quattro 1.8T recently started letting out major amounts of coolant whenever the car sits long enough for the engine to cool completely. The leak stops right away when the car has been turned on for 5 minutes and the engine is warm again.

Link to video clip of leak (sorry for the glare, sun was setting):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ovamfigj3...uVQj0WGIa?dl=0

You can see where the coolant finally drips to the ground, some of it runs down the side of where I am trying to focus the camera at 0:22.

I can not see anything of help when looking down from the hood.

From reading all the other articles here on the same prob, I have a general understanding of which parts are the usual suspects. However, I am hoping that the location of the leak will provide an important clue before I go and break my bank, or at least eliminate a couple of possibilities.

Thank you in advance to all who take a minute to watch and reply.
Sounds like your water pump. Had this done recently. Pump itself will be 500 at an independent shop. But they will want to replace the timing belt and tensioner at the same time. It is all contained together. 1100 dollars isn't unheard of. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AudiAaron
Sounds like your water pump. Had this done recently. Pump itself will be 500 at an independent shop. But they will want to replace the timing belt and tensioner at the same time. It is all contained together. 1100 dollars isn't unheard of. Good luck.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was actually just about to replace the belt within my next 5k miles (at 195k atm). I'm doing all the service myself these days, surprisingly easy with the right book and some time on my hands.

All the best to you, may your Audi live a long and healthy life.