Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

De-chrome front grill (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Default De-chrome front grill (HELP)

OK now before anyone responds i have serched and the DIY is kinda confusing to me beucase the pictures are missing. my first question is is this hard to do? i was reading and it said i need to use a dremel to cut tabs... Which tabs do i cut and do i need to cut tabs to get it out? also is says when he puts it back in that he used super glue. why did he cut the tabs in the first place? what if i dont like the balcked out look nad wat to go abck to stock...do these tabs not need to be there ? please some one help me out or at least provide me the pictures that are missing so i cna better understand this. thanks

Old 02-02-2007, 12:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: De-chrome front grill (HELP)

I have a 1998 A4 and did this last night, and its not hard at all. You just need to make sure you set enough time aside to be able to take your time to do a good job. Im not 100% sure if the grill on a 01 is the same as a 98 but there should be four tabs on the top behind the grill that you just need to pop out (a flat head screw driver helps), then once you have the top out the grill just slides up and out. Also you need to make sure you lightly sand the chrome trim so that the paint grabs it. My process was: 1.) After sanding I used a Plastic Adhesion Promoter Primer from Dupli-color and applied 2 coats 2.) Then I used 3 coats of Auto Spray Universal Black 3.) Then applied 3 coats of clear coat. I used all Dupli-color products and it turned out great.

Also if you go to Dupli-colors website they have alot of e-tutorials which helped me out in the whole painting process, check it out. Just take you time

Old 02-02-2007, 12:59 PM
3rd Gear

You could do a ghetto mod like a guy off the zine. He used electrical tape and it didn't look bad from afar.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: wood_e

You could do a ghetto mod like a guy off the zine. He used electrical tape and it didn't look bad from afar.
yea do this to make sure you like it. then if you do like it, paint it. also when you put the grill back on make sure the hood latch is threaded right before closing the hood. its a PITA if you dont.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:40 PM

thanks for the help