Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do it myself? Any Good shops in Bay AREA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Default Do it myself? Any Good shops in Bay AREA?

Im looking to drop my ride but everyone wants to charge an arm, leg, or a kidney. I want to go with NEUSPEED race springs (2 inch all the way around) and Bilstein shocks. I heard that was a great setup but for that and install it would be around $1,500 from NEW DIMENSIONS. [:-]

Is it really hard to do this myself? Does Quattro really make a difference when changing springs because it seems to change price with EVERYTHING.

Does anyone know a good shop in the bay area or around here (as far as SACTO) that does a good job for cheap. A shop I can bring my own parts into.

Old 09-14-2004, 07:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Do it myself? Any Good shops in Bay AREA?

Is it really hard to do this myself? Does Quattro really make a difference when changing springs because it seems to change price with EVERYTHING.
Unfortunately things just get more complicated with 4/AWD on any car. That's why it's easier to work on a 2WD car, because with the 4/AWD cars, there is just more stuff to worry about going wrong. Like anything else though, it's not unfeasible to do it yourself, you just need the right skills/knowledge and the right tools.

For me, it's probably something I could do, but I'd rather leave it to a professional and be done with it.

Old 09-14-2004, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

Agree, you need a lot of special tools, ie: spring compressors and so forth. Not something that I recommend you do yourself. You'll have to take it to a shop to get aligned anyway so might as well give it to someone who'll do the whole thing at once.

Old 09-14-2004, 08:11 PM
6th Gear

Hogwash! If you have lots of patience you can do the install yourself and save 400 bucks or so, make sure you have a helper. Here's a link for some how-to's.

suspension installs

Old 09-14-2004, 08:34 PM
3rd Gear

I agree!
DO IT YOURSELF!
It's not as hard as the armchair techies suggest. True, all you need is a spring compressors, but that's not a big deal. Ask around; you might find a few guys in your area with just what you need. Plan on at least a half day of labor time. Enlist two buddies (maybe the guy with the spring compressors) and things will go smoothly for you. Lure them with pizza and beer!
Check the tech articles on the R&R of springs - it's really not a big deal - and you'll have the pride of DIY and saving the $400 - $600 in labor!

Old 09-14-2004, 08:38 PM
6th Gear

I think advance auto or autozone will rent you the spring compression tool for a couple of bucks also.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jestnomen

Hogwash! If you have lots of patience you can do the install yourself and save 400 bucks or so, make sure you have a helper. Here's a link for some how-to's.

suspension installs
Normally I would be the first to say do it yourself, it's just now that I have less free time the operation just comes down to an opportunity cost. Is the half a day's work worth the time and money you may be giving up at work or sitting at home watching football on the weekend?

Or maybe I'm just getting lazy. . . . . oh well......

Old 09-15-2004, 12:38 AM

Damn... that is soo helpful. I never even knew that site existed. Its answers to possibly all the dumb questions I could ask.

The spring installation doesnt sound too bad either, I have a friend that has done suspension but wont touch my A4. I bet if I show him this... he might reconsider.

I would take it to a shop but its so ridiculous, should it cost upwards of 1500? I mean, if i buy what i want, I would spend 75% less.... it would probebly come to about 500-600.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:48 AM
4th Gear

Yeah id defintely do it myself and save the labor cost.Think, with the money you'll save you can chip that thing!