Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone here have an upgraded Ignition for more POWER?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Does anyone here have an upgraded Ignition for more POWER?

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded the ignition system on their A4 2.8. I know that better Wires and blaster coils will deliver a better spark and more power and acceleration and i think that would be great for ANY A4 owner (2.8 especially) If any one has ignition upgrade experience, comments or questions post'em up!!!!

Old 12-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Does anyone here have an upgraded Ignition for more POWER?

swapping from the coilpacks wont give you anything. Plus if you did, you would need a full stand alone to make it work. Dont think you want to spend $2k+ or so for plug wires over coilpacks

Old 12-02-2007, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

you know this because you have put high performance MSD Coils on your Audi A4 and have dynoed it before and after with no tq or hp gain? and what are you talking about 2 grand?

Old 12-03-2007, 12:14 AM
1st Gear

cincy is pretty much a tech god, so i would listen to what he has to say. Not to mention increasing the power of your spark only allows to gain power if you are forced induction. The reason being you can run slighty more fuel that you could with out them and get a more complete burn; in turn giving you a few (3-5) hp. So unless you are super charged you are wasteing your money for no more power and a more consistant spark. People generally "upgrade" to performance packs because they can be, in most instances, be purchased for less than stock ones.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

o by all means boys im listening....the only reason im here is so i can make my A4 faster. i found that MSD's 6-Pac for the 4.6Lmustang gave 40 more hp and i only assumed that something in the nature of an ignition upgrade would give 'some' gains to the A4. And yes i know this mustang is running forced induction.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec..._the_dyno.html

Old 12-03-2007, 02:03 AM

sorry, but you picked the wrong car (2.8) for going fast. it's either a supercharger or nitrous for you if you want serious power.

what cincy is talking about is your stock ignition. the factory ignition system uses individual coilpacks which receive input from the computer when it's time for them to fire. you can't just remove those and add your MSD blaster 2 coils, it won't work because you don't have a distributor.

no offense, but there is very very little in the way of performance correlations to be made between a 4.6L mustangand a 2.8L audi. you also won't make many friends here by trying to give the impression that you know more than everyone else, when clearly you don't. let me guess, this is your first german car, right?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:07 AM
3rd Gear

Only og fast mod that's worth a damn on the 2.8 is the PES supercharger, and THAT runs off stock ignition. Upgraded ignition won't do ****. You're welcome to try it but expect nearly nothing except an empty pocketbook.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:23 AM
1st Gear

yes this is my first german car and im learning it it very very differnt from others. i do know a decent amout about automotive.i dont meen to sound like a know it all but i get kinda ancy for power, love the car boys but i always want more. Belligerence thanks for the know how about the ignition system for the A4, i diddent realize that the computer operated in conjunction with the coils like that.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:29 AM
1st Gear

i dont meen to sound like i know it all belligerence im just trying to stir up some conversation about addin power to the 2.8, thats it. i diddent know that that was how the A4's ignition system operated (via computer) in that configureation. thanks for the know-how on the A4. And yes i will have to adapt to the German Cars now over mustangs and and Monte Carlo SS.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:34 AM

start saving up your money or buy a 1.8T

Quick Reply: Does anyone here have an upgraded Ignition for more POWER?