Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door lock control / car thinks doors are open.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Default door lock control / car thinks doors are open.

For several weeks now, the car always thinks the front passenger door is open on my 2001 a4 1.8t. So the lights for the door would never go out, always have to drive around with the passenger foot lights on and the red light on the door. The dash inidicator shows the passenger door open. Just last night, the driver door now shows up as being open, however when I close it, the door light and foot lights go out on the driver side. The car nows makes this horrible beeping sound when I drive, since it thinks the drivers door is open. I've been told this is most likely a door lock control module problem. It costs like $120 for each door. The labor is even more to have them installed. I would be willing to do it myself, however I first want to explore the option of repairing what is there or finding a cheaper way of getting the parts, as in not from the dealer. However I don't have the part numbers, which would be of much assistance in trying to find alternatives.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:27 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: door lock control / car thinks doors are open.

Perhaps it is just the door switch?

Old 11-06-2005, 05:05 AM
3rd Gear

Thats what the problem is but its not a simple switch its this big honking module looking thing. Those switchs do not have factory adjustments. More often than not they are completly broken, so "adjusting" is out of the question.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:45 AM
1st Gear

i have the same problem sometimes with my drivers side door. usually i'm able to open and close the door and it'll go away, but the other night it didnt until after i drove around for a while. it's ok for now, but i hope it's not a sign that it'll be completely broken soon.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:33 PM
2nd Gear

Its not an audi, but my truck had the same problem. The lights would never go out, and the chime beeped all the time. All it took to fix it was WD-40. I am not sure what your hinges look like, but if they have a bar that goes into the door, then just spray a little WD into the opening. I asked around and with that type of hinge, I guess it is pretty common. But I dont know what you have. Sorry if it doesnt help.