AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   Driver's door problem (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/drivers-door-problem-87953/)

ImTheDevil 01-15-2008 07:24 AM

Driver's door problem

Anyone had problems with their outside door handle suddenly not doing anything? I just went out to start and warm up my car and after I unlocked the car, I went to open the door and it's like the handle isn't connected to anything. WTF? There's no sign that someone messed with my car last night (and in my neighborhood, that's basically as unlikely as can be). It worked fine last night, but today it's like the outside handle was never connected to the unlatching mechanism at all. The inside handle worked fine, and I could open the door from the other side. Anyone fix this before? I had this happen on a POS winter beater once and it turned out to be a bent actuator rod inside the door, but I'm curious if it's happened to anyone on their A4. Any particular part that seems to fail and cause this on these cars? For now at least I can open the windows with the remote and open my door that way but that's gonna get old really fast. When I searched it I found (among other things) someone who had this problem on their A6, and it was mentioned that a piece probably broke inside the door, which disconnected the handle from the mechanism. I can believe that, but I sure didn't hear anything or feel anything break when I lifted the handle. TIA for any insight.

oneg 01-15-2008 09:26 AM

RE: Driver's door problem

yeah mine did this, just take the door panel off, its really simple, its 3 or 4 little screws then you lift up on the whole panel. and just take a look in there, my passenger door handle was simply disconnected nothing broke, just the clip connecting the handle with the cable to unlock the door came off.

m5racer 01-15-2008 12:16 PM

ya my drives door did that about a month ago but it only didnt open from outside, inside u could still open the door with no problem. it only happend once and it was really cold that day and the day before it was rainning

ImTheDevil 01-15-2008 11:01 PM

That's pretty much how it was here too - cold last night with some snow/rain. I opened the door from inside, warmed up the car, and when I came back out the outer handle worked fine. Most likely as you guys have hinted at, it was something to do with either the lock or latch mechanism and the cold. Once the car was warm, it was fine, and the problem didn't reoccur. Thanks for the feedback - when it warms up sometime I'm going to take the panel off and see what I can do to massage the linkage.

tml 01-16-2008 11:07 AM

everytime I wash the car or drive when it's wet out I get moisture inside the door on the bottom..is it a defect? cuz then when it get's cold I have a hard time opening the door!!!

hiwords 01-16-2008 11:13 AM

it's probably just your weather stripping on the window

tml 01-16-2008 11:18 AM

I believe it's on the bottom on the door sil..water get's there very easily..can this be fixed under warrenty??

hiwords 01-16-2008 11:22 AM

i don't think weather stips are covered but you can always callthem up to check. it's that black horizontal piece right acros the whole window. get it fixed fast because water could destroy everything inside that door.

tml 01-16-2008 02:41 PM

so how is the moisture getting to the door sil? mines a B6 if that matters..thankx

drinlawaz 03-23-2015 07:34 PM

Front Doors Do Not Open UNLESS I hit the door above the latch

I have a weird problem, my two front doors open fine from the inside and if they are not locked from the outside but when I lock them, either with the remote or the key, and then I try to open the doors, they remain shut until I hit it right above the door handle and then it opens fine. This happens to both front doors, back doors are fine

H E L P