AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   ECU Cover Removal (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/ecu-cover-removal-19335/)

ShadowUCD 11-07-2005 05:19 AM

ECU Cover Removal

Well, I finally got all the parts and whatnot to install my amp and sub. For the last... 2 or 3 weeks I read everything I could on here, the Zine, and Audiworld. I talked to car installation people (who wanted to charge 300 Euro to do it, by the way). I went with the LOC idea rather than messing with the HU at all. The symphony sounds good enough to me, but I'm not an audiophile. Do you know what I found out? That taking off the ECU cover, while simple in theory, was a pain. 3 out of 5 screws were easy enough. The 4th was just time consuming, but that 5th screw... who in the world decided the best way to do things was to have to put the windshield wipers at 12 o
clock and try and fit a tool through that tiny gap? And then trying to squeeze the cover out... plastic is flexible, but I was pretty nervous. Long story short, I thought it was going to be a quick job and found I had time enough just to install the power line. It's not connected to the battery or the amp... I would have finished, even if it took at night if we didn't have a 0615 formation and a 5 mile run right after that.

BFlan2001 11-07-2005 05:24 AM

RE: ECU Cover Removal

the fifth bolt can be tricky. i'm in the process of installing an amp and sub to my a4. there is a clip on the end of the black plastic trim that you can pull off. with that clip removed, you can lift the trim a good 3", which is plenty of room to fit a socket with a 3-4" extension. more difficult than removing the screws is going to be trimming the ecu box. that sucker is tough, i tried a utility knife and quickly realized that the dremel will need to be brought out for this job.

ShadowUCD 11-07-2005 05:30 AM

I removed that clip... I got maybe another inch of room, I think. Oh well. I'm done with that part of the job. Next I need to figure out the remote wire and where I'm gonna hook that up... I hope it's not past the firewall... oh, geez.

BFlan2001 11-07-2005 05:46 AM

no, it won't be. you should have a factory amp in your trunk. (either connected to your driver side rear deck speaker, or mounted to the underside of the rear deck, depending on whether you have bose or not)..either amp will have a remote wire running to it that you can tap into. on my amp (bose) the remote wire is white. if you have bose yours will be the same.

ShadowUCD 11-07-2005 06:01 AM

Cool, thanx

ShadowUCD 11-10-2005 03:00 PM

There are only 2 wires going in there. A red wire w/ a blue stripe and a brown wire... I think it had a red stripe. If I had to guess those are just the positive and negative for the speaker. If I tap those to run to the Line Out Converter I still need a remote line for the amp... I think I may have to take that rear deck thing off and take a closer look.