Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust/muffler taking leaks and burping..

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:32 AM
1st Gear
Default exhaust/muffler taking leaks and burping..

when I start my car I always get a puddle of water that came out of the muffler. I have had the car stored for couple months but been starting it regularly. When I finally move I hear this sort of fair gurgling burping from the muffler/exhaust. This sound is loudest right when I shut off the car, and ALWAYS when I shut off the car.

Today I was revving the engine a bit for quite a while, up to 5k and when I checked there was a pretty big puddle of water running on the ground which I never get to see drip.

I posted about this already, however not with enough information it seems. Now, what can we say the problem is, and what is the solution.

Gas been in there for couple months, but like I said been turning it over regularly. Thanks for looking, Im sure Ill get some good advice here

Old 09-28-2006, 12:40 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: exhaust/muffler taking leaks and burping..

You have a muffler full of water, either from driving through deep water, or more likely due to running the engine for very short periods during storage. To get rid of it put in fresh gas and go on a long trip that get the exhaust hot and evaporates the water.

I am assuming that you have checked your coolant level and that you aren't loosing coolant through a bad headgasket.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:11 AM
1st Gear

yes, I have had it stored since April and only been starting it up long enough to get the engine warm. When I start the car up there is a bit of white vapour which goes away fairly quickly, so that should be normal and not a bad head gasket, when I was revving the engine vapour comes back... but again, normal right? water in the muffler... this could make sense, this sound did not happen BEFORE I've just kept it in storage and is fairly recent, so again, I don't see why a head gasket would have gone bad. My collant level is fine, right where it's been and where its supposed to be. You think this is the definite answer? Water in the muffler will cuase this sound whenever I shut off the car? Thanks for your input bro

Old 09-28-2006, 01:51 AM
3rd Gear

Considering your not losing coolant its most definatly water. Burning coolant will also give the exhaust a sweet smell. The gurgling is probably air flowing thru the water. Just take it for a nice long drive like stated above and that should take care of all your problems.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:40 AM
1st Gear

you people are very helpful

But if anyone else has any more ideas or suggestions I would love to hear it

Old 09-28-2006, 04:40 AM
2nd Gear

Yes, water could be there from wet driving, or just from condensation. if you cant take it out of storage, just start the car and let it idle for a good while. but make sure it doesnt over heat. doing this will heat up your exaust/muffler to blow out/evaporate the water currently in there. i dont know what exaust system you have, but water in there isnt good if it sits. it can rust out your pipes and muffler changing the tone and performance. IF possible, get your car on like a steep hill if you cant drive it and run it there while keeping an eye on engine temperature if running for a long period of time.

kind of a funny note on this, when my dad was in highschool, he got new mufflers for his mustang becuase they were required, but he then filled his mufflers with water as to rust them out (they were glass packs, so it made a huge difference)

oh the stupid things he did to get a 12.3 second mustang...

Old 09-28-2006, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

I have the standard exchaust/muffler that comes with 98 A4 2.8 quats.. you guys seem to be on the money here
Thanks for the input guys

Old 09-28-2006, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH! THE ENGINE BLEW UP THANKS TO YOUR ADVICE [:@]

jk.. great advice, it worked perfect. You guys are great, hoorah for audi forums

Thanks again for the input