Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fault Codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Site Moderator
Default Fault Codes

Ok i emailed the GIAC dealer the engine fault codes i had after being chipped for 4 days. He said that they need to be treated as "mechanical issues, because thats what it is based on those codes" He mentioned maybe flashing it back to stock, doing the maintinece and flashing back. It seems to me he is trying to get me for some labor hour$. My instinct is to (and what i have done) clear the codes, wait a week or so to see if they come back (as the fault codes could have registered while the ecu was relearning and adapting to the new GIAC chip. This is what i want to believe anyway. What do you think ANYBODY? Also, if the codes do come back, and I end up needing to spend $ on parts, i dont want to do that. My wife would literaly kill me if that happend. Will a better breathing exhaust remedy any of those codes (refer to day 4 fault codes thread) if they persist? Could it be the k03 going out at only 70kmiles? Bad wastegate? Bad chip? A boost/vac leak wouldnt cause all of thos codes i dont think. Also, can someone verify GIAC's satisfaction gurantee? If im not happy can i just return it or get flashed back to stock and get my money back???? I really appreciate all the people here with more knowlege than i have on this stuff so please just tell me something!!!!

Old 11-15-2005, 04:45 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Fault Codes

Onepoint,

I can agree with you on the "wife" issue. It all depends on how much of an extra boost and/or added performance that chip gives you. If it's very substantial, then return that one and go with a different one. If you don't think that it's worth it, then obviously go back to stock. Listen to your wife.... as much as I hate it, my wife always leads me into the more "practical" direction. Spending the extra $$$ to TRY to fix what you and the mechanic MIGHT think the problem is, would hurt your pockets and your wife will be mad at you!

Old 11-16-2005, 03:04 AM
3rd Gear

When they flashed your prom they should have erased any fault codes. Audis procedure is to erase all codes (Not just ecm codes) before and after flashing the ecm or any module for that matter. Hopefully they just forgot to do that but i dont think thats the case. That many codes is way to many to be from any one mechanical issue. Its unlikly that all those componants failed at once. Seems to me its something in their programming that caused those codes.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Site Moderator

Thanks. Well there are no new codes yet , scanned it 3 times in the last 2 days. Seems to be driving fine too. I think the true test will be to keep scanning for about a week and if there are no new codes I'll be one happy SOB. Also... I know its been talked about, if i replace my resonator with a straight pipe, will this have any added bennefit? Will it sound "throatier" or just loud?