Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time Audi Owner... Day 3, Turbo Gone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:34 PM
1st Gear
Default First Time Audi Owner... Day 3, Turbo Gone?

Just purchased an '03 A4 1.8T Avant, 69,500 miles.

Car is in great shape physically, purchased through a friend who's a broker, so it was a "sight-unseen" deal, but the wholesaler he got it from assured him it was in perfect condition.

Picked it up 3 days ago, and right away we noticed the turbo "whine" was unusually loud. Broker thought it might be a fan in the turbo (he used a specific technical term I can't remember) or possibly a crack in the turbo housing, air leak in a hose. CEL was on from the get go, and oil light came on once briefly, but broker said that was from being shipped to altitude, that the computer needs to adjust. We checked the oil and it looked fine/full. Turbo boost was VERY low. Again, chalked up to transport from sea level to altitude.

Today, the turbo whine went away! So did any residual boost from the turbo! Oil light came on again for a few seconds. Car basically runs fine, but it's got no power. I babied it home (about 15 miles, mostly flat), and it didn't run rough, no smoke at all. No sign anything was amiss except zero boost and no turbo whine at all.

So, my assumption is the turbo is shot. Accurate assumption?

Broker has a mechanic, and he is going to help me get this resolved. I'm just curious: Should I have it towed to broker? Or can I drive it at all with no turbo? Is there any possibility this is anything other than a bad turbo?

In every other way this car appears great. Tailgate solenoid may need replacing, and driver's seat heater is intermittent. What else should I have the mechanic check/fix while he's replacing the turbo?

Thanks for your input.