Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front calipers need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 11:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Front calipers need help

it has come down to replacing my pads and i got the caliper off and when i went to compress it it will not go in all the way is there something i am messing this is on the Front passger side on a 96 Audi A4 let me know if there is something i need to do diff

Old 07-14-2005, 11:22 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Front calipers need help

i can't remember if it is the fronts or rears, but on one or the other, you have to turn the piston as you compress it to get it back in

Old 07-14-2005, 11:28 PM
2nd Gear

I haven't done a brake job on my A4 yet but you probably need to turn the piston while compressing it. You can buy a tool for this at most Autoparts stores or you can compress it with a clamp while turning the piston with a pair of channel locks (pliers)--but be careful not to rip/damage the boot around the piston.

I used the second method the first time I ran into this problem...I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the piston wouldn't go back in and then tada success and I didn't even realize how I did it so I how to fiddle with the other side for like 20 mintues.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:28 PM
2nd Gear

The rears need to be turned in because of the ebarke the frontd should just compress back in.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:32 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: skidplatexa4

The rears need to be turned in because of the ebarke the frontd should just compress back in.
i thought i remember it being the rears.....2.8audia4, have you done many brake jobs before? it takes quite a bit of force to compress the pistons, you should go to autozone and buy their special tool, otherwise there's a good chance you'll damage something...and DON'T turn the pistons with a pair of channel locks, that is a terrible idea.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear

put the old pad on and use a big C Clamp to compress the piston. Worked for me everytime.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:47 PM
5th Gear

Yep, the C-clamp is all I've ever used... I've used needle nose pliars to turn the pistons back before. Annoying as hell. Then I took an old socket, and ground around the top, leaving two little prongs... so I can use a ratchet, and push against the piston as I turn the ratchet.

That, OR loan the tool for free from canadian tire. Whichever :P

Old 07-15-2005, 12:43 AM
2nd Gear

I would never use channel locks again but, at the time I was desperate and frustrated.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

yes i have done many brake jobs. i come here cause this is the 1st one that it will not comprss back in i have the the tool for brake jobs and i have put the pad in with that tool and twisted the it to it could no longer turn i have no clue maybe the caliper is broke when i look at it i see the black ylinder that i need to compress but i also see this silver thing right behhind it also i think its the piston i will take a pick later tomorrow to show you

Old 07-15-2005, 01:29 AM
1st Gear

Did you open the master cylinder cap to let some fluid out?

Quick Reply: Front calipers need help