Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need to change my thermostat

Old 12-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Default I need to change my thermostat

Ok, so I need to change the thermostat on my 97 a4 fwd I have searched and searched on here and have not found any good information on replacing it, If anybody has a link to a write up, let me know... I am a noob to this site but not to cars Ive been on honda tech forever and have been working on cars for awhile, I really would like to get a genral idea before I go work on the car and its in the garage with the heat on warming up, so help me out

Old 12-09-2007, 03:17 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: I need to change my thermostat

jack the car up, remove the belly pan, and unbolt the thermostat cover under the water pump

and you might as well replace the o-ring as well while changing the thermostat

Old 12-09-2007, 03:19 PM

Thank you so much, I've found alot of extremly vauge info thanks a lot

Old 12-09-2007, 03:20 PM
5th Gear

no prob

Old 12-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Guru

i just ordered one from ecs, should be here laterr this week

Old 12-09-2007, 03:48 PM

I just got a thermostat and a seal from a local auto parts store, my car doesnt warm up I really hope it fixes it cause its cold in wisconsin, also got the g12 coolant everyone says to get and two gallons of distilled water...

Old 12-09-2007, 04:31 PM
2nd Gear

I'm waiting to see how this turns out. I know that my car won't warm up to center on the temp gauge as long as it is under like 45F outside. I've already replaced the coolant temp sensor but that didn't change things. I know with my AWM motor it has the internal waterpump which sounds like a pita to change out the thermostat.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:37 PM

so I just got done changing the thermostat and filled it up with coolant and turned the car on let it warm up... took awhile finally we got in the car drove it up the street and it started getting warm really quick so we went back to the garage and put a tiny bit more coolant in and it seams like the coolant is boiling... I thought it was air bubbles in the system but my friend thought it was boiling so we turned the car off and on a couple times so it wouldnt get too hot, but the coolant never dropped for us to add any significant amount of coolant... anybody have any ideas or info on what I should try next? please help cause at least my car was driveable before this now its not and im positve I put the thermostat back inthe way it was when i took it out...

Old 12-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Site Moderator

Run the engine with the coolant tank cap off so you get all the air out, that can mimmick boiling (we call it burping) Once you feel like all the air is out put the cap back on and drive it around again, make sure the gauge is where it is supposed to be then top off the coolant once more and you should be good to go.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:41 PM

just went back to the garage and topped it off and started up and went for a ride, I thought it was all perfect the guage was straight up and down and then it started to creep back up so drove back to the garage and opened the cap didnt go down at all so I came back in, im hoping as it cools down more air will work its way out, oh by the way before there was no hot air coming out and this time it was blowing hott!! any other imput or tricks to get air out let me know...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need to change my thermostat