AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   Installed: Milltek Resonated (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/installed-milltek-resonated-35343/)

headshok2002 06-30-2006 12:09 AM

Installed: Milltek Resonated

So I spent a large part of yesterday and about an hour today wrestling with my exhaust... I picked up a milltek resonated system, as well as a brullen high flow cat. Install was a pain in the ass, but I could do it a lot quicker if I had to do it again.

For anybody who wants to know... milltek's resonated system is VERY quiet. havent had it on the highway yet, but I am sure there will be no drone... when I first started the car, I was like "WTF?" It sounded sooo stock... so I revved it a few times, and still... very very tame.
I was honestly a little dissapointed, I can't see the exhaust note drawing any stares... but hey, I'm one step closer to a big turbo now, and the tips look great! As for power gains... Umm, I honestly don't notice a thing. I'm just chipped, so maybe that's why... but I really don't think I picked up any power, and like I said, I installed a HFC as well. Hmm!! Anyhow, here's a crappy pic, my car is so effin dirty:
EDIT: Just got back from a ... spirited drive. I do think I picked up some power... 3rd gear up to redline definately pulls harder than before. Overall not a big difference... but right there, winding out 3rd... very noticable. Dyyyying for a big turbo now.

http://chris.offtone.com/photos/misc/DSCN0016-small.JPG

kraylon 06-30-2006 12:41 AM

RE: Installed: Milltek Resonated

hey you stole my car J/K:D mine looks as dirty right now dang ran it looks nice i got a neuspeed and the tips are huge i should of got milltek i like how they look but i like the sound of mine

headshok2002 06-30-2006 12:47 AM

I wanted milltek for a few reasons... They are 2.75 diameter, so I'm ready to go big turbo down the road... they are known to be quiet... and in my opinion, have the nicest tips. As for the "best" sound... I'd likely say remus or maybe the non-resonated version of the milltek.

I've heard the neuspeed exhaust and it wasn't my cup of tea. Sounded whooshy, like... like the window was open a crack or something. Can't describe it! It had a nice exhaust note otherwise... but the whooshy noise drove me nuts. :D

kraylon 06-30-2006 12:52 AM

yea i agree that neuspeed does sound a little funny i just like that its a deep tone
did you replace the down pipe also was that a pain???

headshok2002 06-30-2006 01:15 AM

Yeah the milltek comes with a downpipe, and yes, it was a bit of a pain in the ass.

I replaced the catalytic converter too, though... so I didn't disconnect the cat from the downpipe, so it wasn't as hard as it could have been. Taking the cat off the turbo was easy. The whole damned job would have been easy, if I had the car in the air... I was doing it on ramps and a jackstand. Soooo frustrating.

a4orce1 06-30-2006 03:04 AM

Thats awesome. SOUND CLIP! My borla and Laybree sounded great. I miss my b5 so much sometimes

headshok2002 06-30-2006 04:16 AM

ORIGINAL: a4orce1

Thats awesome. SOUND CLIP! My borla and Laybree sounded great. I miss my b5 so much sometimes
Haha a sound clip wouldn't impress... I am telling you, this is quiet. Just a bit louder than stock... it's wierd. It was an anti-climax when I started the car. And yeah, I'd likely have bought a labree HFC if I had of bought brand new... this one is a brullen, which I had thought was a good name. The cat has some very, very ugly welds on the flange to the downpipe.
I'd like to hear a borla equipped a4 in person... I had borla on my 94 trans am, and I loved the sound. Borla on v8's was always quiet and refined... So I would think they would go for that same standard on every exhaust. I know everybody that buys it is happy, anyways! I was just really concerned about noise, so went with the quietest. Haha, but even with all of my concern for it... I could handle this one being a bit louder!

04a4 06-30-2006 04:23 AM

i have the a full miltek exhaust on my car with a complete K04 upgrade, I'll record a sound clip for you guys... the car definatly sounds wayyy better, it's not very loud, but has a deep growl about it

A3Night 06-30-2006 04:27 AM

I can't believe you installed your exhaust yourself. I had the worst time attempting to do mine. You should check out my thread in the A3 forum... you'll see the pains I went through.

headshok2002 06-30-2006 02:10 PM

Hey 04A4... do you have the resonated or non-resonated setup?

And yes, I did it myself... although my dad did as much or more work than me. He's much, much more capable at working on cars than I am... but everything I've learned, I've learned from him. So this was yet another learning experience... haha.

But yeah, it was a huge pain in the ass!