Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JHM -1" Short Shifter installed and Ash Tray Re install (B6)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:19 PM
2nd Gear
Default JHM -1" Short Shifter installed and Ash Tray Re install (B6)

Well, i finally got around to install my JHM short shifter -1" saturday

i had a hell of a time getting the JHM into the plastic assembly because the JHM is machined to be perfectly round whereas the plastic factory piece was slightly off round so i had to force it down in there like a MAN!!!!!!
install was very straightforward and easy, dont hesitate but do get the tools in the install video together before hand, you will need them all (www.jhmotorsports.com)

the shifter assembly rides on two metal arms with rubber bushings... the rods could easily move up and down and all around.. the JHM kit replaces those with hard plastic delrin... it makes the feel unbelievably SOLID! once you take it all apart, you will understand what im talking about.....

the throws are so short and precise now!!!!! i didnt want to spend the extra $ for the JHM but i am SOOOOOO glad i did now... my rational was that i shift pretty much all the time so why wouldnt i spend $50 extra bucks and get the best????

lastly the ashtray was a biatch/*****/**** to get in... i ended up using my radio keys which are also a bitch to get back out... but anyhow i read several posts where they said to push down, up and forward but didnt understand why... i will post some pics of how it re assembles later today so future searchers will be able to see how it works without taking it apart..... if i had understood how it worked, i am confident it would have go in with out removing the radio and climate control

also of note is i was scared to take the radio out for fear of losing the code, but i finally found it... when i reinstalled the radio, it said SAFE then a few seconds later it started playing music again.. i never had to enter the code.....apparently the ECU and radio are good friends

lastly much thanks to JHM for designing such a great shifter and putting up with all my questions had hesitations spending that $ on a shifter....... it was $ well spent![/align]__________________[/align]

Old 01-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Default RE: JHM -1" Short Shifter installed and Ash Tray Re install (B6)

how long was the short shifter install?

Old 01-07-2008, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear

Great to hear you got in installed! Wish I had a manuel Lets see some pictures

Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 PM
2nd Gear

it took about 2-3 hours... the longest part of it was actually getting the JHM to fit in the plastic assembly because the JHM is perfectly round and my OEM assembly was just a hair off so i had to figure out a way to hammer it in without denting up the top of the JHM... i screwed around for an hour doing that and the damn ashtray!!!!!!! gRrrrrrrrr that thing is a PITA!!!

i will post up the pics of how the ashtray actually goes in for future searchers.... it would have easy (er) if i could have seen how it works.......

Old 01-07-2008, 12:59 PM

ya i also have a jhm -1 short throw jsut sitting here that im waiting to install but i was too scared to install it beucase i though it was gonna be tough to do. How was the aligning part at the end? did u need that allignment insterment that they showed in the video? i want to get this done but i have been putting it off beucase the whole idea of an install is a little crazy lol. but it is srtaight forward from the video? Thanks

Old 01-07-2008, 01:13 PM
2nd Gear

the install is just like the video, watch it and write down all the tools he says because you will need them all.... also i used a allen key to loosen the top bolt... one piece of advise is if you cant get the allen socket on straight in, dont do it because it could very easily strip and then you would be fucked

the adjustment is a joke.... just pull the assembly back, loosen then screw and put it in the middle and just make sure its in the middle and see if everything goes in gear correct... if you are really concerned just take a picture of the adjustment screw before you remove it and put it back in the same place

DIY!!! its way overrated... i would have the radio keys for the ashtray though, its a pita

one other thing is getting the adjustment screw on the actuator arm or whatever its called is kinda tough, i had to stick my hand under the shifter assembly and lift the shifter rod up to where i could bolt it to the rod but it just took a few minutes of playing around... thread it in slowing and make sure u dont cross thread it

the only thing i dont like about his video is i think he should have shown you down inside the assembly so you can understand more.. but once you remove yours you will understand perfectly... PM me with any questions. or i can give u my cell

Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 AM

alright thanks Papachristou im gonna give it a try this weekend and let u know how everything goes