Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K04 Upgrade Complete (for now)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:35 AM
2nd Gear
Default K04 Upgrade Complete (for now)

I recently did the K04 upgrade. It makes a really nice improvement, but here's what the final config ended up being:

K04-15 w/ install kit: $775 shipped
USRT Genesis 380cc injectors: $240 shipped
TT225 MAF: $115 from the dealer (normally $138)
GIAC K04-15 Hammer file (requires the 3-program option): $700 installed
Techtonics Tuning 2.5" Downpipe with Stock Exhaust: $240 shipped (plus $300 installation--long story)

I did all my own labor except the downpipe (and I'm glad as it wasn't an easy fit). I replaced the turbo, injectors, and MAF myself. The TT225 MAF is 3", so you need to Dremel the opening in the airbox and use K-Y Jelly to get the intake pipe on over it.

All-in-all, however, the car now rocks! Just don't think you're going to get away with a turbo upgrade cheaply, even with a K04. It's a definite improvement over the K03 stock turbo with just software, but it's at least $1500 more.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: K04 Upgrade Complete (for now)

Cool.. So how many miles were on your k03? Was it dead? did you have any trouble with the oil return line? How long did it take you?
KY jelly?? Hmmmmm.... Ran out of boob lube huh?

Is your audi tiptronic? if so, how does it react to the k04 when shifting?

I dont care what the story is on your DP, $300 is robbery to get it installed.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:59 PM
2nd Gear

The K03 had about 58k miles. Nothing was wrong, I just wanted to try the K04 since it was a straight bolt on (plus I got it before I knew how working software was suppose to work--Revo didn't work). The K04 is a direct replacement; no problem with oil or coolant lines.

The K-Y Jelly (actually, I used assembly lube) was to stretch the stock turbo intake pipe over the 3" MAF.

Not to bash Techtonics, but their downpipe was too long and we weren't really prepared to re-engineer the fitment. The shop actually spent longer than three hours to get it in.

No, I have a 5 speed.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: JettaRedII

The K03 had about 58k miles. Nothing was wrong, I just wanted to try the K04 since it was a straight bolt on (plus I got it before I knew how working software was suppose to work--Revo didn't work). The K04 is a direct replacement; no problem with oil or coolant lines.

The K-Y Jelly (actually, I used assembly lube) was to stretch the stock turbo intake pipe over the 3" MAF.

Not to bash Techtonics, but their downpipe was too long and we weren't really prepared to re-engineer the fitment. The shop actually spent longer than three hours to get it in.

No, I have a 5 speed.
Yeah i knew the k04 is a direct replacement, but when removing the old k03, you have to disconnect the oil line from the oil pan, and when you get it bolted up to the k04, you have to fish it down the engine bay to the oil pan, and that can be a pita even on a k03. Unless you somehow detatched the oil return line from the turbo while still bolted to the engine. So what do you think your hp/tq is right now??

Old 06-08-2006, 02:18 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

Yeah i knew the k04 is a direct replacement, but when removing the old k03, you have to disconnect the oil line from the oil pan, and when you get it bolted up to the k04, you have to fish it down the engine bay to the oil pan, and that can be a pita even on a k03. Unless you somehow detatched the oil return line from the turbo while still bolted to the engine. So what do you think your hp/tq is right now??
Actually, I didn't remove the oil line from the oil pan. The Bentley (which I followed) requires that you remove the A/C compressor. When you do that, you have plenty of room. So, I didn't have to fish it.

I'm not sure what I'm putting out. The shop that helped me has offered to dyno the car when I have some time. I'll have to take them up on it.