Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost keys... Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 03:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Lost keys... Help!!

ok Guys i pretty shure that i am totally screwed but ill ask anyways. I just bought a new A4 and it was is great condition. The only real problem with it is that it only had one key. So when i was at the dealer i asked if they could make another copy of the key before i left. They didnt have any keys in stock so they had to order it. I was supposed to go to the dealer today so they could make a copy of the key but my neise came over and got into my room and now the key is absoulutly no where to be found. i looked EVERYWHERE. What options do i have? even though its one of those special keys can they still come out and make a key for it? What do i do?

Old 09-11-2004, 03:49 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Lost keys... Help!!

Don't know. You will have to ask them. They may be able to cut the key based on the VIN. You of course would have to show up with the registration and ID before they would do it.

Alternative is to totally rip your place apart to try to find the keys. Don't forget to check to see if you left them sticking in a door lock.

Old 09-11-2004, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

when i went to order a copy of my key all the guy did was take down my vin number, looked through the computer, and ordered it straight from the computer...i didnt need my original key

Old 09-11-2004, 06:02 PM

If you have the optional security system you can call audi and give them a super secret code and they will start your car via satalite

Old 09-11-2004, 06:23 PM
6th Gear

what good does starting the car via satalite do? I've never even heard of that except with onstar.

Old 09-12-2004, 01:38 AM
1st Gear
Default Satalite.... Right

Well i gave a call to the Audi Dealer and they said that there is a good chance that they can cut the key from vin, but they wont be able to know until they can contact some people on monday morning so we will have to wait and see.... Thanks for the help guys...

Old 09-13-2004, 12:18 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Satalite.... Right

unless your dealer has extra blank keys, your in bad shape, i am still waiting for a key on backorder from germany, there are no blank keys that my dealer can find in NC, SC, or VA...

Old 09-13-2004, 09:03 AM
6th Gear

it might be easier and cheaper to buy an uncut used switchblade key fob from eaby. Then take it to your dealer to have cut by your VIN.

Old 09-13-2004, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

Related to this, the whole driver's side lock cylinder is broken. If you put your key in, you can turn and turn in either direction without being able to lock or unlock the door. Also, the key is very difficult to get out, usually taking three to five minutes of turning and tugging until it randomly bursts free. It's not really a problem because I just use the door unlock button, but I wouldn't mind the power down window/sunroof thing, or in case there's some alarm malfunction.

Anything I can do?
I have to take the car to the service center soon for the lit airbag and check engine lights anyway, so I'll ask them. Maybe it's still covered by Audi warranty. The person I bought the car from never bothered with warranty maintanence.

Old 09-13-2004, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

I don't know what your financial picture is, but if you are having problems with the door anyway, why not replace them entirely? I was having problems with the lock in the steering column, and it turned out not to be too much more money to replace all the locks. Or, you could shave the handles completely....

Quick Reply: Lost keys... Help!!