Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie satelite radio help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Default audi a6 2005 3.2

hi guys
I got hey audi a6 2005 it come whit the navigation and a KBOX in the tronk but not the satellite so i bought the module for satellite radio serius on ebay , now i try to plug it but there s no plugs to plug it in......
so i took off the plug from the kbox so the satelite is on fonction but not the radio am fm finally i think i need a additional plug but dont no where to find it

Old 06-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Default Newbie satelite radio help needed

hi guys
I got hey audi a6 2005 it come whit the navigation and a KBOX in the tronk but not the satellite so i bought the module for satellite radio serius on ebay , now i try to plug it but there s no plugs to plug it in......
so i took off the plug from the kbox so the satelite is on fonction but not the radio am fm finally i think i need a additional plug but dont no where to find it
can t somebody help me

Old 10-08-2018, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

Aha! Time to resurrect an old, old thread...

I'm the proud new owner of a 2004 Allroad. It has (er, had) satellite radio in it already, but this weekend I swapped out the head unit for an aftermarket one. With that aftermarket setup I bought a new SiriusXM sat radio tuner. I figure I needed that to interface with the new Kenwood head unit.

Then, I took the curry-colored FAKRA connector behind the old radio and used an adapter to connect it to the antenna input on the new sat radio tuner. I didn't change anything else with the stock satellite radio system.

I was hopeful this would work, as it would greatly simply the setup and not require me to run a new antenna, or a new wire to the existing antenna, and so on. But I figured it might not, as essentially my system now contains two sat radio tuners -- the stock one in the rear cargo area and now the new one behind the dashboard.

Well, alas, something strange is happening. The new sat radio seems to be working, in that it can (sometimes) "see" an antenna / signal strength and can pull down the SiriusXM preview channel, but even after subscription and activation it can't pull down any other channels. It's stuck on just Channel 1 (and 0), and that's all.

So, I suspect I'll need to remove the stock Audi tuner so I'm not futzing with a dual-tuner setup. That's where y'all come in.

Does anyone know anything about the stock tuner's wiring scheme(s)? Ideally, for me, would be to remove the old tuner and simply reroute the signal already coming down from the stock antenna straight into to the wiring that terminates in that curry-FAKRA coming out behind the dashboard. But, of course, none of the wiring at the stock tuner is labeled, so I can't tell what I'd have to rewire / reroute in order to just bypass the other stock stuff.

I can't seem to find a wiring schematic anywhere, so I'm hoping someone out there can help. Any ideas??

Old 11-13-2018, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

i got Sirius for our new car and liked it, so I bought this unit to get the same thing at home, thinking I could piggyback onto the car account without paying more. No such luck! New account is required, and because this is an XM radio.

it's an better option for car accessories amazon as always concentrate to customer satisfaction.

love it!

Old 12-22-2018, 10:12 AM
Dj1
1st Gear
Default Where is the can bus on 2005.5 a4. The link does not work you added

Originally Posted by SFL_A4
Ok... so my XM module came in. I installed it just a few minutes ago.

Installation was actually a lot easier than the posts I made earlier. MUCH, MUCH EASIER! The whole procedure took 15 minutes.
Before you start, look on the bottom of the XM module, there should be 3 peel-n-stick stickers with your module's identifier.
Take one of these stickers and stick in inside your owner's manual so you will be able to find it easily.
On my 2006 B7 there is a fold-downpanel on the driver side in the trunk.
Behind the fold-down door there is a little rectangular plastic panel where the XM needs to go.
There are two little notches on thebottom ofthe plastic panel, use a smallflat screwdriver to gently pry the panel out.
The little plastic panel is actually a shelf, just pull it out all the way, the XM module will sit on this shelf, and it is even drilled with 4 holes to attach the module to it.
Along the side wall behind the panel you will find the wiring harness, the plugs themselves will be wrapped in a piece of gray foam.
Pull the harness forward, it should be plenty long unless you have the nav system. If you have nav it may be zip tied or shorter.
Plug the harness into the XM module, the plugs are very obvious, you can't make a mistake, they are color coded and specially shaped.
Take another one of the peel-n-stick identifier stickers and paste it on the outer face of the plastic shelf/panel so you can easily identify your module. Leave the 3rd sticker on the bottom of the XM module (this will be your last resort).
Now, use 4 new screws (not supplied) to bolt the XM module to the plastic shelf.
Slide the shelf back into place and close the fold-down cover.
That's all you have to do in the trunk. But you still have to switch the Can-Bus.
The Can-Bus connector lets the Radio know you have a satellite module installed.
If you had satellite radio previously installed you probably won't need to switch the Can-Bus, it was probably already done.
The Can-Bus connector is located behind the front passenger-side kick panel.
Instructions to locate it and how to switch the connector are here: http://audi.barrystuff.com/s4/satRad...sat_canBus.pdf
Once you switch the Can-Bus, you can turn on your radio and press the SAT button. You should automatically get the preview channel and a message will indicate you're receiving XM radio.

The only other thing you need to do now is activateyour service.

Enjoy your Satellite.

If you have any questions just let me know. This was the easiest $160 I ever saved (that's what the dealer wanted for installation).
can bus

Old 12-22-2018, 10:14 AM
Dj1
1st Gear
Default Can bus

Where is it located? Do i have to buy a new one?. The link doesnt work

Old 09-07-2021, 01:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Finding radio code in aufiba4 for Sirius

Originally Posted by SFL_A4
In case anyone is following this, I thought I would post my findings.

After some digging around, talking to my local Audi store and a few google searches, I think I have the answer to this mystery.

It appears our Audis are equipped with satellite radio antennas, wiring and even radio controls, but there is an optional receiver module required to actually receive the satellite signals. Prior to this year, Audi used to offer a choice between XM and Sirius, but now they have gone exclusive with Sirius. My local B&M Audi store wanted $500 for the module plus another $160 to install it. However, I found that that XM modules are still rather plentiful on the market, and I bought a brand-new, Audi, in the box, XM module from a dealer over eBay for $99, plus $10 for shipping.

The optional module is installed in the trunk of the car, in a black plastic enclosure. Unfortunately, you have totake outa few screws to get to the wiring harness, butonce you get access to it you will findthe harnessis equipped withplugsthat match the back of the optional satellite receiver module, so it is really a plug and play installation. I found thesevery detailed installationinstructions on the web here: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec115.shtmlfor an RS6, but they are the same for A4 and S4, and they include pictures of every step of the process.

To further assist with this in case anyone is searching the forums, I am also including the Audi part numbers for the receiver modules below:

Please note, this is for North American parts only.
  • 8E0 035 593 or 8E0 057 593 Sirius without RNS-E and without tire pressure monitoring system
  • 8E0 035 593 A or 8E0 057 593 A XM without RNS-E and without tire pressure monitoring system
  • 8E0 035 593 D or 8E0 057 593 D Sirius for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system, works with Concert/Symphony as well
  • 8E0 035 593 E or 8E0 057 593 E XM for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system, works with Concert/Symphony as well

There are apparently two versions, so you can look for either part number, but I was unable to determine what the difference is between the part numbers. On one forum I read they are basically the same, but the 057s are just a newer part number. I purchased the 8E0 035 593 A receiver, which the Audi dealer I bought it from verified was the correct receiver for my 2006 Audi A4.

The receiver I purchased should arrive this week, so I will post more info after I install it.

Also, for anyone who is ready to do this, don't forget to google "XM satellite radio discount coupons", it will save you about $2/month on subscription fees and will also get you 3 months free trial.

See coupons codes here: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/xmradio.com

Thank you! This information really helped!