Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 12:26 AM
1st Gear
Default Power steering pump noise?

Saturday night my car started making a noise when I turn the tires. It only does it when I'm stopped or moving very slowly. I checked my power steering fluid but it was fine. I assume the pump is going bad but just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:39 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Power steering pump noise?

I haven't noticed a problem with my car, but that says nothing about your car problems. What kind of noise do you hear?

Growling/grinding is bad. Squeeling could just be worn or loose accessory belt.

Old 09-06-2005, 02:34 AM
Site Moderator

i have a similar issue...So far no one's been able to answer that question with detail. I know what you mean about it though, i have a very very light faint groan accompanied by a little more than "normal" resistance while stoped or at slow speeds. Nothing sounds lose.

Old 09-06-2005, 02:56 AM
4th Gear

Is it coming from the engine compartment or are you talking about the steering column squeeking because the "U" joint on the column has gotten a bit dry.

If that is what you mean, change the angle on the tilt and the telescope to another position. This usually makes it go away.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:08 AM
1st Gear

well, today i was about to post the exact same problem. yup, it sound like a faint groun noise. is it a DIY thing or advance? sorry i dont have that much experience with audis.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:27 AM
1st Gear

Man, there must be something in the air lol. It's definetely coming from the engine compartment. It sounds exactly like a power steering pump that's low on fluid. It doesn't sound like a belt squeal just like everyone else said a light growling noise almost like a howl (??? hell I don't know what it sounds like). I'll check my belts tomorrow to make sure there tight but I don't think that's it. I just wish there was a way to be certain of the issue before I just go replacing stuff. By the way, it sure sucked a little earlier when i took a girl to get coffee and was parallel parking outside of the coffee shop. Nothing gives me more joy than explaing to a girl why my "Audi" is making wierd noises!

Old 09-06-2005, 04:30 AM
Site Moderator

one solution is to turn up the music i guess..... just wait until it gets worse until you start replacing shiznat. Check your tire pressure.. If its too low that would cause more resistance, causing more stress on the pump/system, causing noises? I dunno.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:47 AM
4th Gear

I have the same groaning sound. I'm going to spray silicone on the steering wheel joint.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Steering pump noise

Mine is an A6 and the noise is worse when the temperature outside is below 30 degrees

Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM
1st Gear
Cool Silly rabbit it's not the column

If the noise is under the hood it's the pump - check the level and if it was the belt it would jerk and be worse if you was turning. The pump is either low or going out!.

Last edited by Jbond007; 03-06-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: mis spelling

Quick Reply: Power steering pump noise?