Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

READ THIS IF YOU HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!

Old 06-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Site Moderator
Default READ THIS IF YOU HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!

Go to Autozone and get your ECU scanned for the fault codes, record them, and post them in a new thread. This will eliminate the "I have a CEL and dont know why" type threads.
Good investments:
www.ross-tech.com(Vag Com diagnostic software)
http://stores.ebay.com/mechanic-doctorMD(Generic code reader)

Anyone can guess as to why you have a CEL, but you MUST have the fault codes retrieved from the ECU with a scan tool or laptop diagnostic software like Vag Com to pinpoint the cause or put you in the right direction. Any OBDII scan tool will work. TheOBD portis under the dash on the drivers side, and in some cases in the back seat ash tray.

ALSO!
If your CEL is flashing, that indicates a misfire. Get your ECU scanned. It should tell you which cylinder is misfiring. Take the coil pack from that cylinder and swap it with a different cylinder. Drive. Rescan for fault codes. If the misfire followed the coil pack you moved, you can be sure that its a bad coil pack.
If you have a 97-99 1.8t and the above method didnt resolve your issue, you likely have a bad ICM (ignition control module) or "ignition amplifier." Its located on top of the air box. They can be found on ebay for pretty cheap compared to what the dealer charges for the OEM bosch unit, and are equally, if not more reliable.
Those are the 2 most common causes for misfires.

Note: Cylinder #1 is closest to the radiator, and cylinder #4 is closest to the firewall. This should make finding cylinder's 2 and 3 self explanatory
Im not sure about the cyl. order on 2.8/3.0, etc. But Im sure its similar with 1 and 4 being the closest to the radiator.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:11 PM
1st Gear
Default 97 audi a4 check engine/misfire

Would it be safe to drive the car to the auto parts store to get that checked out?

Old 07-28-2009, 07:51 PM

Yeah, you can drive it to the store. If it's misfiring, it won't help fuel economy or run as well as it should, but it shouldn't hurt anything to go get it checked.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

so this was a really good place to start and was so helpful. I think that we figured out the problem of the car and it was all thanks to this

Old 09-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Default Misfiring flashing check engine light

I would not suggest driving your car too far if you're check engine light is flashing because of a misfire. Your fuel will eat the hell out of your catalytic converter and your 100 ignition coil and whatever else you spend on coils will end up running you $4000 on a new cat. So watch it.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by SincereOne12
I would not suggest driving your car too far if you're check engine light is flashing because of a misfire. Your fuel will eat the hell out of your catalytic converter and your 100 ignition coil and whatever else you spend on coils will end up running you $4000 on a new cat. So watch it.
yeah..better tow the car..

Old 12-22-2009, 10:45 AM

I have owned my car for only 6 mos, its a 2003 with the 1.8T, i have put 5 coils on it so far and another just blew last night, what could be the reason it keeps blowing them?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:18 PM

I have this component that I don't know what it i just know its under the abs unit

Name:  0125001340b.jpg
Views: 26330
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  0125001339.jpg
Views: 22305
Size:  43.4 KB

Neither of these hoses are connected to anything can someone help me out???

Old 07-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Default cylinder 6 missfire

I have read some comments on this type of problem and I would like to switch coils around to check if my Code reader will follow the problem to another cylinder Where do I find the coils?

Old 08-27-2010, 03:45 AM
1st Gear

To reset it warning lights, just turn the ignition key until the all warning lights come on but do not start the engine. Then press a tiny button in the warning light display panel by poking a straightened metal paper clip through the hole. If you hold it steady for 10 seconds whilst keeping the ignition on, the warning light goes out. It will come on again when the service time period again expires.

__________________________________________________ _________________
AC DELCO START AND IGNITION SWITCH -- Features premium quality components; Engineered to high standards to assure dependability; Tested under extreme conditions; Constructed with no substandard cores

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: READ THIS IF YOU HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!