Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boost loss problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Default boost loss problems

so i have a giac chip and i notice that when driving pretty hard atabout 5,000RPM i notice the boost drop from 15psi to 10psi. is this normal? if not what could the problems be? everything else seems to be normal. idle's at -20vac and doesent bounce or anything and doesnt spike over 20 and settles at 15 psi. is this drop normal or could there be a broblem

Old 08-08-2006, 01:22 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: boost loss problems

no thats not normal. boost leak or vac leak. any wooshing sounds? how does the power band feel? weak?

Old 08-08-2006, 02:34 PM

no the car feels strong all the way through i just can see the boost drop. and also now that u mention it i do hear a small woshing sound even at idol in the car.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:12 PM
3rd Gear

check the corner of the L hose located near/behind the manifold. a hole can develop in the corner and cause those symptoms. over time the hole will get bigger. i just replaced mine. theres a thread I posted a few lines down.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Site Moderator

Sounds like you are going into limp mode at wot at redline. get scanned for codes. This exact thing happens to me from time to time. goes out of limp mode when i restart. i hardly ever go to redline, so its hardly ever a problem for me. but i always get a negative deviation fault code with it.
Since i replaced my DV and DV vac line i have not noticed this though and i have gone to redline in wot a couple times since then i think.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:29 PM

ya my L hose alrady ripped about a week ago. this seams to be my second boost leak. to take it out of limp mode can i just unhook the battery for liek 10 minites or does it have to be scanned and cleard by vag...thanks

Old 08-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: m5racer

ya my L hose alrady ripped about a week ago. this seams to be my second boost leak. to take it out of limp mode can i just unhook the battery for liek 10 minites or does it have to be scanned and cleard by vag...thanks
What yr are you??? Might want to put that in your sig. for me, i just turn the engine off and restart and limp mode is gone, but the code is still stroed. I dont need to clear it to get out of limp mode. If i were you id get it scanned to see if there is a code before unplugging your battery. you have vag??

Old 08-08-2006, 04:39 PM

my car is an 01 and i dont have vag but a firend of mine does. and im pretty shure its a boost leak cuaseitsbeen liek thisfor acoupple of days now. and even when at idle and with all windows closed and no radio on i can hear a nice little wistleing that soundsliek the turbo but the turbo isent very loud at idle so im pretty shure its a boost leak. i hate this leak ****. also i can feel the diffrence at lower speeds also beucase i noticed my DV doesent blow off any morein 1stgear unlessi almost floor it.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Site Moderator

are you saying you cant hear the turbo recirculate but only in 1st gear when you let off the gas?? thats pretty normal. DV's arent loud like BOV's unless you have an intake mod and even then its not as loud as a BOV. And if you have tiptronic its even harder to hear because when you switch gears the throtle plate doesnt close like in a manual where you let off the gas entirely between gears and the throtle plate fully closes which is when the boost is recirculated through the DV and into the intake.

Its very difficult to diagnose a boost/vac leak over the internet.. Pick up your ***** and go to home depot and buy the parts to make a boost leak tester!!!

Old 08-08-2006, 04:59 PM

lol im just going tomorrow and a macanic and he is going to deal with it lol