Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi or Subaru???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Default Audi or Subaru???

I currently have a '05 Subaru Sti with 95,000 miles. I had a '98 A4 and wife had a 2000 S4 Automatic. Both Audi's were in the shop far more than the Subaru's. I put on a lot of miles for my business, so maintenance is an issue.

I am looking at a Audi 2.0T sport package or an '08 Subaru Legacy Spec B. How are the newer Audi's?[/align][/align]Thanks[/align]

Old 07-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Banned
Default RE: Audi or Subaru???

i have an 07 audi a4 2.0T and it's an amazing vehicle. the engine is awesome and the interior comfort and options are very nice. it's also a much better looking vehicle than any subaru.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

Personally, my experience with Subaru's (which isn't much) is that they look okay on the outside, then you get in them and they feel cheap. Similiar to the Toyota Tacoma, when they first came out, I wanted one, then all I had to do was open the door and feel how thin and flimsey it was, and I ran the other way.

Everyone here is going to say Audi, of course. I'm sure the legacy provides a little more "quality and comfort" features than your STI even. Granted, Audis do need a little more tlc than some of the Japanese cars, but they are constructed differently and thus, those differences need to be recognized.

Bottom line, when someone sees an Audi driving down the road compared toa Sub-ee for example, they are going to be more impressed. The four rings don't come cheap, but I'd much rather be driving an Audi than a Soob. Just my opinion though-

Old 07-17-2007, 02:02 PM

Are you posting the same thing on a subaru forum? If so, post the link...I'm always curious as to what they have to say.

If you want my oppinion, AUDI FTW!!!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

Last summer, my stepbro lost his liscense, so I drove his 05 legacy around for a few months. I really was impressed with the car, it was quick and looked real nice.

Now that I have an Audi, that car doesn't compare. The ride is not nearly as comfortable. I wouldn't say it feels cheap, but it definitley looks a lot better than it drives. The Audi is a lot more fun to drive, although it is a 6 speed and the legacy was an auto. I'm sure his legacy would beat me in a race off the line. I'd still stick with the Audi.

As far as cost, I think you get what you pay for. Drive an Audi and decide if it's worth the extra money.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:05 PM

Audi all the way!!

Just a reminder, you do not buy an A4 for speed(unless you mod like crazy) You buy the A4 for the luxury, interior, class, comfort and of course the QUATTRO

Old 07-17-2007, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

The Subie is better speed for money. The Audi has a better interior, better handling (esp. if you upgrade the suspension), better brakes, better looking, better sounding, etc. But if you're on a budget, buy the Subie. One last thing: Eurotuning companies (APR, AWE, etc.) are extremely professional and offer package deals that offer both performance and reliability. I have a friend with a stage III+ s4 and another friend with a BT Subie sti and the Subie is always in the shop. Also, look for Subie tuning website and notice what fly-by-night operations they are. Go with Audi (esp. any Audi with 2.7t engine - I love my 1.8t, but it just isn't that fast).

JPF

Old 07-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Site Moderator

Audi FTW.... But, this Suburu is damn sexy....

Old 07-17-2007, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the responses. I like the design of the Audi better, but I need to have a car that is not in the shop much.My experience with Audi's, 1998 A4 and 2000 S4 were not that good. I bought the 1998 with about 35,000 miles and as soon as the warranty ran out it was one thing after another. I have been driving around 30K miles a year for work, andhave had two Subaru's since the Audi's and have had no problems. I heard Audi's qualitity is better, but wanted to hear what some of you had to say. I have looked at the Audi's each time I bought a new car, and ended up going with the Subaru because of Audi perceived unreliability and cost. I don't know if the unreliability issues are better now. I'm also attracted to the Audi 2.0T because of the money I could save on gas.

I did post this on the Legacy Forum http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66224

Thank you for the thoughts!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Site Moderator

One of those guys on that forum does bring up a good point... And that is- as soon as you drive any new car off the lot it depreciates a good amount. You can still get the advantage of the factory warranty with a used/new car. Audi has definately made some engineering mistakes, but over the years they tend to get better, and not many new issues arise. So far the only bad thing about the B7 that I have heard is a stalling/no start issue that is related to the ecu. There has been an ecu reflash/update that all dealers are doing to cure it apparently, but I dont think its a recall. Its still too early to tell what long term common issues it will have, if any.

Quick Reply: Audi or Subaru???