AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   Replaced my Secondary Air Pump last night (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/replaced-my-secondary-air-pump-last-night-23450/)

brrman 01-19-2006 01:15 PM

Replaced my Secondary Air Pump last night

For any of you guys (DBW) that have a bad pump, the removal and install is not as bad as I expected it to be. Hard to get the thing out of its harness, but otherwise quite straightforward. Good way to save cash by installing yourself, since the pump alone can cost upwards of $250-$350.

By the way - when you have a bad pump it will cound like a jet engine for 30 secs or more when you start your car.
Mine had gotten so bad it had started to sound like a meat grinder.

onepoint8tee 01-19-2006 01:18 PM

RE: Replaced my Secondary Air Pump last night

ORIGINAL: brrman

For any of you guys (DBW) that have a bad pump, the removal and install is not as bad as I expected it to be. Hard to get the thing out of its harness, but otherwise quite straightforward. Good way to save cash by installing yourself, since the pump alone can cost upwards of $250-$350.

By the way - when you have a bad pump it will cound like a jet engine for 30 secs or more when you start your car.
Mine had gotten so bad it had started to sound like a meat grinder.
Good to know.. How many miles are on your a4?

brrman 01-19-2006 01:37 PM

only about 65K...

onepoint8tee 01-19-2006 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: brrman

only about 65K...
wow.. Is that the going mileage for that repair? hopefully mine was replaced before i got my audi.

brrman 01-19-2006 01:47 PM

There doesn't seem to be any going mileage for this problem. Some people have had it go after 20K miles. Other have had their car for 120K and still it is running fine.

Apparently the 2000 model was notorious for it. I would not worry about it unless you start to hear the jet engine noise on start up.

OH - this is only for TIP model cars. Forgot to mention that.

Jestnomen 01-19-2006 01:56 PM

Nice, you don't happen to have some pictures to make a tutorial do you?

headshok2002 01-19-2006 02:38 PM

That's what that noise is when I start my car!? Haha I thought the fans were kicking in for some reason when I first started it... it was pretty annoying! I know my SAP is bad though... I've had the CEL for a long time... I just haven't gotten around to replacing it!

Other than my pulluting, and that jet engine noise... will I notice anything when I change it? Gas mileage or anything like that? Hmmm!

clconversion 01-19-2006 02:43 PM

I was running without mine for the last week it was on the road when I installed the FMIC there was really no place to put it so I tied it up somewhere wasn't really holding so finally I just riped it off never got a CEL from it though I will continue to drive without it till I get a code for it haha

headshok2002 01-19-2006 02:52 PM

Haha that is pretty awesome! My CEL comes and goes... it stays off all summer long... I really only deal with it 3 or 4 months a year. Haha, but I still kind of want it fixed... it bothers me to know I am neglecting something. But, I bought those A8 brakes... and the swaybars... and I have to buy the timing belt kit, and snub mount... and I just did the short shifter...

And I just tapped my neighbors car [:@]

I was parking behind it... and as I was just about to reach for the key to shut it off, my foot slipped off the clutch... yikes. I caught it surprisingly quickly, but the car lurched into his. Didn't leave a spec of evidence on my car... but his car has a little nick in the paint. I am offically retarded! And this week is offically terrible! haha

goldenchild 01-19-2006 02:55 PM

plug the hole its a waste of space and weight. no need for it i dont run it