Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft Top Please Lower Storage Box Driver Message

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Default Soft Top Please Lower Storage Box Driver Message

Hi All,
I own a 2004 Audi A4 Cabriolet and starting yesterday I've gotten the strangest driver message when trying to put the top down. It says "Soft Top Please Lower Storage Box" and it won't let me lower the top. I've tried everything I can think of to fix this. There's a latch in the trunk thats suppose to lower the storage box but moving it doesn't solve the problem. Does anybody know whats causing this problem and how to fix it? The storage box is lowered as far as it goes. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 PM

Hey man,
Did you ever get this fixed? I just got the same message today. Please let me know. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:19 PM
1st Gear
Default "Soft Top,Please lower storage box" message

In trying to open my convertible top I get the message "Soft Top, Please lower storage box". I moved the lever to lower the variable storage bay, but the manual doesn't say anything about lowering the storage box.
Please advise.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

Has anyone resolved this problem? I am having the same problem now. The lever in the trunk doesn't do anything, and the top stops moving right after the windows come down a bit.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:19 AM
1st Gear

There is a micro-switch on the storage box mechanism that fails quite often. When it does, the soft top control module "thinks" the box is in the up position all the time.

If memory serves,,,,,,,,,the switch is on the lower/front/right part of the box mechanism and is available separately. What I don't remember is if it can be replaced without pulling the whole works out or not.

If you can get to the connector and unplug it, you can either leave it unplugged OR short the 2 pins together with a small wire (forget if it's a normally open or normally closed switch, sorry). See if the top works either way. Just make sure the box is in the down position though! Had one fail the other way, customer lowered top with the box up and it WILL destroy it (the storage box assy).

Old 05-02-2021, 10:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Solved my problem

I know it's an old thread but it's still being used so Worth a look as my problem was that the trim had come unhooked for the skis storage/arm rest in the boot and was stopping the compartment from dropping enough so it actually looked like it was fully functional but wasn't quite.

Old 09-07-2023, 01:05 PM
1st Gear
Default About tye aldi roof

Hi I see you message we had the same trouble with are aldi it turned out the boot was to full so took some bits out of the boot and just left a voupke of small bits in the boot the retyped the roof and it come down so just check you boot isent to full or got any big bits in it other wise it stops the roof comeing down I hope this was helpful to you it worked for are car thanks tara