Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearing engine codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Default Clearing engine codes

I was told by the dealership that sometimes there are codes that are in your computer that need to be cleared out, they might not show, but they cause different random problems if they are not cleared out. Is this true, and also can I clear my own codes out by pulling a fuse or something?

Another issue I have is I keep getting a service oil change light, when I have already got my oil changed. I have just ignored this, and actually have got a oil change twice since then, but upon startup of the audi it says oil change service flashes. It is a 99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. Any ideas with the following...

Old 05-27-2004, 01:00 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Clearing engine codes

You need a VAG-COM to clear the codes yourself. IMHO the VAG is the best investment value you can make for your car - you can diagnose problems and you can customize some options, too.

VAG-COM by Ross-Tech

The CEL will continue to appear until the code is cleared.

Old 05-27-2004, 06:44 PM
6th Gear

To reset your oil light...
Insert your key into the ignition.
Push in the odometer reset button, hold it in, and turn the key to the first click.
The display should read either "oil" or "service" if it does not, repeat steps #1 and #2.
To reset, pull out your instrument light dimmer button at the bottom of the tachometer.
Turn the ignition to the off position. When the ignition is turned back on, the display should be back to the trip odometer.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

Awesome. Thank you very much. I was at the dealership today just to get a Oil change and when i got back in my car that light was still on saying i needed the service. And i asked them about it and they said the only way they could turn that lite off was if i got a full checkout by the dealer... costing $150-380. I was like No-way. thats stupid.

But this was awesome. I just reset it. Now will it say to service it again in like 2500-3000miles ?

Old 07-19-2006, 06:32 PM
4th Gear

You can clear the codes in the ecu by disconnecting the neg. battery cable for a few minutes.

Make sure you have the stereo code as you will need to input this.

It takes roughly 40 miles for the ECU to reset and get back to normal after doing this.

This will not clear the change oil light, but have already resolved that.

There are other code readers out there, they also will clear most codes. Any ODB-II reader will work, you may not get some of the specific extra codes that Audi has in there, but it does read all the important stuff.

Vagcom give you even more info, codes, as well as the ability to log.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:36 PM

not to mention putting all main beam lights on and any thing else this drains any back up system

Old 09-19-2020, 08:06 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy

Are there any recommendations for iOS app (preferably free) that can clear any Audi error codes? I have the reader but not all apps are created the same, some with limited function (eg. just reading) which is quite useless. Somehow my 2012 Audi A6 starts flashing TPM, ABS, Parking brake error lights and I don't really understand what is malfunction because the car is still very drivable.

Last edited by hkok; 09-19-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by acetrebo
You can clear the codes in the ecu by disconnecting the neg. battery cable for a few minutes.

Make sure you have the stereo code as you will need to input this.

It takes roughly 40 miles for the ECU to reset and get back to normal after doing this.

This will not clear the change oil light, but have already resolved that.

There are other code readers out there, they also will clear most codes. Any ODB-II reader will work, you may not get some of the specific extra codes that Audi has in there, but it does read all the important stuff.

Vagcom give you even more info, codes, as well as the ability to log.
Hi acetrebo, I have the same problem. I tried to clear the codes with an OBDeleven, but they won't clear.
Will the batter terminl option you talk about work better?
And for the radio are you talking about the serial number or another code? and where do I find it?
Sorry if my questions sound lame, I just don't know what to do, and I don't want to go to the stealership for it.

Thanks for any helful advise.