AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   Rough start / Hard to start after filling with gas (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/rough-start-hard-start-after-filling-gas-53430/)

rccks96 02-02-2007 11:10 PM

Rough start / Hard to start after filling with gas

My car runs great, starts great all the time. Then, the first time i start the car after filling with gas, it takes a while to start, and after it's finally started, it idles erratically for a minute or two. It even does it if i fill up with 1/3 tank full (so waiting till it's empty is not the problem).

I have a 2003 1.8t. Has anyone had this problem?

rccks96 02-03-2007 12:48 AM

RE: Rough start / Hard to start after filling with gas

After doing some searching, sounds like it may be the purge control valve? Which may make sense, since I had to disconnect it to replace the air filter. I reconnected it though, but may have screwed something up in the process.

What the heck does the thing do anyways? Is it important that I replace it if it is bad?

theguy1084 02-03-2007 01:20 AM

If I remeber right the valve puts vapors from the fuel tank into the intake. It does this during cold starts because the engine needs a richer mix at idle. I would think that if that was bad tho you would get a light on because its an emissions control item

theguy1084 02-03-2007 01:23 AM

it might have a hard start or be idling rough because the ecu thinks its getting more fuel than it is. that is if thats the problem

Lazer Viking 02-03-2007 01:24 AM

i know it sounds stupid... but its your cap on tight ?

my aunt had a problem that her car wouldnt even start because the cap wasnt on all the way

rccks96 02-03-2007 03:27 AM

What's wierd, is I don't have a CEL on, and my gas cap is fine - I can unscrew the gas cap, put it back on, and the car starts fine. Like I said, the car is fine all the time, except for the first time i start it after filling up with gas. Very strange.

theguy1084 02-03-2007 04:06 AM

thats weird man...what your talking about seems like it has to do with the evap system but 99% of that system is looked at by the ecu. hmmmm.....

cstarky15 02-03-2007 05:35 AM

sounds like something the dealer ship will charge big money for. or just look at you like your dumb. one or the other. [8D]

MattyAudi 02-03-2007 07:33 AM

ORIGINAL: rccks96

My car runs great, starts great all the time. Then, the first time i start the car after filling with gas, it takes a while to start, and after it's finally started, it idles erratically for a minute or two. It even does it if i fill up with 1/3 tank full (so waiting till it's empty is not the problem).

I have a 2003 1.8t. Has anyone had this problem?
I had this same problem with my previous99.5 2.8and I belive that it was the purge value. I will check my old maintenance records to be sure and will provide you with the amount the dealership charged me to fix. It sounds exactly like the same problem ...my carwas perfectly fine, but then immediately after putting gas in, it would take a while to start at the gas station and once I got it started I needed to apply gas for a few minutes or it would stall out because of the erratic idle. So once I got the car started,I always hoped there was no traffic coming, because I wasn't going to stop applying gas when leaving the gas station or I would have stalled out.

I will review my old maintenance records when I get home from work this afternoon and repost the remedy and cost.

david9999 02-03-2007 10:46 AM

Evap purge valve, or the vacuum lines or one way check valve in the vacuum line. Check for leaks or cracks in these, and the 90 degree elbow joints on the passenger side of the engine. Took me a year of leaving my car running when I filled up to finally sort out the problem