Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy my wreck from insurance and part-out??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear
Default Should I buy my wreck from insurance and part-out??

Hey guys….

So you’ve seen the carnage pictures: https://www.audiforums.com/m_513261/tm.htm

Now for a decision…should I let insurance take it, or should I part it out?? It’s a 2001 A4 2.8V6 Quattro Tiptronic with 52K miles.

Key details:[/b]
1. Insurance wants $2,500 for it (which would definitely be nice to have in my pocket for a downpayment on a new ride in the coming weeks).

2. I THINK I have someplace I could store it indefinitely, or at least for the summer. But I'd have to pay to get it towed about 15 miles.

3. There are only a few exterior parts that are undamaged. A few salvageable interior parts. I’m betting most of the suspension is bent from the curb I went over, but I’m not sure.

4. I’m NOT very handy…I can do my oil, brakes and spark plugs, but never done anything more complicated than that. I’d definitely need to buy some tools (which isn’t a bad thing I guess, I should have them anyways).

Here’s a list off the top of my head of what could be sold…anyone know approximate market worth on this stuff??
-2.8L V6 with 52K miles
-front bumper w/ foglights
-radiator
-MAF
-Xenon headlights (I THINK these still function)
-passenger side fender
-drivers side tail lights
-everything else under the hood…maybe the hood itself.

So what do you guys think?? This could be a good learning experience for me, and I could turn it into a profitable summer project.

Or

It could be a big freakin hassle, and ends up costing me more money. Do I even have CLOSE to the skill level needed pull out an engine and all the rest of this stuff, or am I getting in way over my head?? A friend told me it was a huge PITA to get his engine out of his Camero, and he hated every minute of it…I wouldn’t even know where to begin…I’d DEFINITELY need a Haynes manual.

I need to decide on this in the next day or so, quick feedback would be awesome!

NOTE: I’m in Rochester NY if any of you vultures would want to pick this crap up J

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:02 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Should I buy my wreck from insurance and part-out??

Its easy to part out a car. Its hard to find someone to buy everything. Ebay is an option. Maybe you could pick up another A4 that has been salvaged and make one good car out of both. find one that a guy had his TB break or somthing like that. then just do the engine swap. part out the rest. I would personally pass but if you willing to put in the time. good luck

Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 PM
4th Gear

It could be more of a head ache then you want but in the end you will have gotten more for the car. The engine and trans could get you double what the insurance is offering. But its all a matter of when it will sell and doing the labor.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:25 PM
4th Gear

Lets see all the things you could sell.

- Looks like atleast 1 or 2 rims
- 1 tail light
- head lights
- front bumper w/fogs
- engine & trans
- (some) door panels
- Some windows
- mirrors
- vac motor for locks
- window motors
- brake booster - abs controler
- a fender or 2

That's some good $$$$ if you can wait and do the work. Plus im sure i left some stuff out.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:35 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: new2me
- Looks like atleast 1 or 2 rims
- 1 tail light
- head lights
- front bumper w/fogs
- engine & trans
- (some) door panels
- Some windows
- mirrors
- vac motor for locks
- window motors
- brake booster - abs controler
- a fender or 2
-I think maybe one rim on the car, and possibly the spare.But even that would be questionable.
-I'd have to check, but the stereo headunit and instrument gauge cluster might be intact.
-Also, the steering wheel (tip paddles withunblown airbag) appears to be intact.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Banned

If part numbers are good i so be down to buy the central locking unit off ya. anything better than 500 new from dealer. Found cheaper on ebay but still gettin raped. Yea it takes time to part a car out, i did the same with an old mustang of mine. took time but actaully ended up gettin more than the car was worth to beginwith lol.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:05 PM
2nd Gear

If I were you, I would just say goodbye and move on. Yes you may be able to make a few bucks from the car, but seriously ask yourself if it is worth the hasle. It won't be that difficult to get parts off but keep in mind how many emails you have to deal with and all the coorespondence with guys who are only half serious about getting parts and would only buy it if it was at an unreasonably low price. If it takes 10 emails for every part you finally sell, do you want to deal with all of that haggling etc. And then when you make the sale, people expect their parts in a reasonable time frame which means you need to get your butt over there and pull the parts and then box them up and then run them over to FedEx etc. If you have the free time, go for it, but I think after you sell the few easy parts and are waiting around trying to unload the rest and still haven't made your $2500 back, you are going to wish you had never bothered.

But if you decide to do it anyway, PM me a price on that drivers side tail light as long as its not cracked.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:55 PM
1st Gear

^^^^^^what he said.

If you keep it let me know how much for the xenons.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:38 PM
2nd Gear

Lol, I find it kinda interesting that I'm being advised NOT to part it out, while at the same time recieving offers for said parts. A bit of a paradox....but the honest input is VERY appreciated.

So far, I've got people interested in my MAF, front fender, center console, xenons,central locking module, ABS module, passenger side mirror, and driver side tail light. If if I waited long enough, I'm sure I could get somebody to EVENTUALLY take the tranny and the engine.

So you see where I'm conflicted...I'm lazy...but I'm also greedy. [&:] And that right there ^^^^ is money on the table. Maybe $1,200 just from the stuff listed above? Another $2,500 for the engine, $1,500 for the tranny? I have no idea what this stuff goes for in the classifieds...

In the meantime, I'm still leaning towards the mentality of TDrill. Have almost no mechanical skills makes me apprehensive...so I need somebody to sell me on what a great learning experience it will be!

Old 04-25-2007, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

ill be interested in your xenons as well and clear corners. do you also have pics of your intake?

Quick Reply: Should I buy my wreck from insurance and part-out??