Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

signal lights problem

Old 09-16-2006, 03:45 AM
1st Gear
Default signal lights problem

first of all; HI to the evrybody.. this is the first time I'm writing and I'm a new audi driver...

I have a 99 audi a4 1.8 quatro . when I signal ;sometimes signal lights flash well, sometimes when i need to give a long signal - especially when I'm waiting for the green light in traffic- the signal lights stop flashing and they only keep a steady light. on the indicator panel; the signal indicator also stop flashing and become steady. sometimes after 3-5 flashes sometimes after 7-9 flashes they stop flashing... and worse sometimes when I signal they become steady without flash. I checked the bulbs and they are ok...I'ts not about the bulbs... as you see it changes time to time.. I don't know the reason. If somebody help me I really appreciate.. thank you...

Old 09-16-2006, 05:49 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: signal lights problem

Hi & Welcome to the FOrums.

Be sure to use "SEARCH OPTION"

that being said it sounds like a short or grounding issue. Check it out .... if u are unsure take it to a shop.

Old 09-16-2006, 07:20 AM
2nd Gear

no grounding issue at all no need to go to the shop...that would be the last thing i would reccomend to do... considering audis charge an arm and a leg to work on... it is the realy switch in your dash the little emerengecy hazard switch(little red triangle) that needs to be replaced easy pop the trim buy the part from the dealer its like $25... unplug put the new one in and your done viola problem solved

Old 09-16-2006, 08:31 AM

I agree with that ( hazard warning relay sticking/arcing ) no repair just change it and no harm in checking the ground wire for maintenance purposes

Old 09-16-2006, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for your help;
I'm sory but I'm not much familiar with the audi.. And also I'm a newcomer.I'm a student in airforce instute of technology.
as far as I can understand; you mean that I can solve it by myself if I buy the correct defected part? If it is correct; first question : I really didn't understand what you mean by saying 'it is the realy switch in your dash the little emerengecy hazard switch(little red triangle) ' If you help me more about this topic I'll be so happy.. if you have time may be somone can send me a photo or picture of this part and show me where it is in the car.
THANK YOU ....

Old 09-16-2006, 03:08 PM
1st Gear

In addition to the all I write above you can direct me to the an internet page related to the defected part. And last question can I buy this part from internet?(like e bay etc)

Old 09-16-2006, 03:16 PM

the button you press to make the hazard warning lights work is the relay so it has to be changed out

Old 09-16-2006, 05:29 PM
2nd Gear

im not sure if you can buy this on the internet... I almost positive its a dealer part... just go to your local dealer and pick one up for 25 bucks... and then install it your self... because if you let the dealer do it they will charge you an hour worth of labor for something really simple to do that only takes 10 mins

Old 09-16-2006, 05:33 PM

the switch is plug and play, small screw driver ti force the old out then insert the new

Old 09-16-2006, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

ohh... Now I understand... At the begining, I thought the same thing you wanted to tell but when I looked into the owners manual it was written as emergency flasher so I was confused. Thank you for your explanation.. Is it easy to replace a new one? If I want to order a new one from e bay should I name it 'the hazard warning lights relay '? thank you for your help and patience DAVE...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: signal lights problem