Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless steel brake lines - verdict?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:02 PM
3rd Gear
Default Stainless steel brake lines - verdict?

I haven't heard any good info on whether or not SS brake lines are worthwhile as an upgrade. Anyone have any experience with them?

Old 03-21-2007, 07:25 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Stainless steel brake lines - verdict?

Stainless lines are mainly for off-road use to protect against road debree. My brake kit came with them but i have not installed them yet because of weather. I have heard from some that it helps with brake power and others say that its just a sales pitch. My opinion- it cant hurt anything to protect your brakes.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:52 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: new2me

Stainless lines are mainly for off-road use to protect against road debree. My brake kit came with them but i have not installed them yet because of weather. I have heard from some that it helps with brake power and others say that its just a sales pitch. My opinion- it cant hurt anything to protect your brakes.
No, not really, they are more abrasion resistant, but that's more of a by product.. When you press on the pedal, it moves fluid from the master, threw the lines to the brake calipers piston. This is done under high pressure fluid (with help from the brake booster). Stock hoses are just rubber. So, when you press on the pedal, some of the movement & fluid goes into expanding the brake lines & not the piston. So it's wasted energy & comes back as pedal feel.

SS lines do not expand & shrink. They stay the same inner diameter no mater what the pressure. So you get better pedal feel & less pedal travel for the sam amount of braking force. The lines also have a higher burst strength, so they are less likely to leak, or rupture.

They don't stop the car any faster, they just give you much more feedback from the brakes, & make them easier to modulate.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:06 PM

They're really not worth it, I have installed them on many a motorcycle but just because they are pretty. You won't be able to notice a difference.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:00 AM
4th Gear

They are slightly better over stock. It will improve the pedal feel and decrease brake fade. I changed them out when I got the new rotors. If you have a BBK or autocross they are a must.