Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does any make of Audi require factory parts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Does any make of Audi require factory parts?(best brands of brakes?)

Hello, I have an 07 Audi a-4 Quattro. And my brake lights keep coming on. I'll be replacing the pads but the guy told me I would need factory parts unless I wanted to be back in 3 months. He said that the factory parts will lasts much longer. I'm not quiet so sure with his comments. So I'm here asking y'all. Do I need factory brake pads? If not what's the best type to use? That will last me quiet some time. Bc from this mechanic words, "I could go to a parts store and buy there most expensive brakes, you'd still be back here in 3 months" y'all think he's right??

Last edited by Audia-4quattro; 02-03-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

No he's full of ****. Unless the pads are made of cheese or wood just about any pad will last plenty long to recoup the cost of getting oem pads. If you buy pads holding cost constant you can get a pad that performs well at higher heat ranges, ie no brake fade, but wears down faster and is harsher on the disk. Or you can get a pad that isn't performance oriented and will last a long time. Just get some discs from ECS tuning, no cross drilled slotted nonsense, and some Hawk HPS pads and be done with it for another 75k.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:37 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by germoneypit
No he's full of ****. Unless the pads are made of cheese or wood just about any pad will last plenty long to recoup the cost of getting oem pads. If you buy pads holding cost constant you can get a pad that performs well at higher heat ranges, ie no brake fade, but wears down faster and is harsher on the disk. Or you can get a pad that isn't performance oriented and will last a long time. Just get some discs from ECS tuning, no cross drilled slotted nonsense, and some Hawk HPS pads and be done with it for another 75k.
You couldn't be more wrong ...... Factory will last longer than aftermarket.

3 months is an extreme exaggeration. You don't have to use audi parts. But don't use the cheapest stuff you can find either.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek

3 months is an extreme exaggeration. You don't have to use audi parts. But don't use the cheapest stuff you can find either.

I think with the number of qualifiers I amended my statement with I could be more wrong. Given that the price of HPS pads and oem pads are nearly equivalent I'll take the HPS pad that is higher performing with way less dust over the oem pad that maybe will last another 15-20k more miles.

I would like to know however you being a master tech what parts on the car would we be better off getting the oem version of over a quality aftermarket brand?

Old 02-09-2015, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek

People never seem to realize the parts where made to be on there. If you can get the OE parts as cheap as possible or make sure that you try to get the second best. For example, exact same OEM parts made by Audi's supplier that just don't have the four rings stamped on them.

And yes the original brakes will last longer.

I can't stand how some consider aftermarket parts are excellent because they are made for tuned cars and the parts manufacturers call them upgrades.