Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt problem. Timing off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Default Timing belt problem. Timing off?

- 99.5 2.8Q - My water pump went out last week so I decided to change the timing belt at the same time. I got the bumper and everything out the way and it looks like the bearings went on the water pump cause the pully is bent out a little bit causing some slack in the timing belt. I got the crank marks lined up perfectly but the larger holes on the cams are off slightly. It looks like the left cam is off by approx 2 teeth and the right is approx 1 tooth. I made marks before i starting turning the engine on the cams and im going to mark them again now that im at TDC and then take the belt off but should I try to move the cams so they look like they are lined up better before I put the new belt back on or should i put the new belt back the way the old one was? Sorry for the long post but the thought of having the timing off and blowing the engine scares the hell out of me. btw is it true that if you are 3 or more teeth off the engine will blow the second I start the car?

Thanks

Old 05-31-2006, 05:34 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Timing belt problem. Timing off?

There are timing marks on the upper cam and block, there are also marks on the dampner pulley that line up with a mark on the lower timing belt cover.

First make sure you are TDC in cyclinder 1, and line up the top marks.

Then, put the lower timing belt cover back on (just hold it in place, not screw in)

Then, hold the dampner pulley on the crankshaft. It only fits on one way, due to a fifth guidebolt. Look at the mark on the rear of the dampner pulley and see if it lines up with the mark on the timing belt cover.

It should be very close. If it is off, you need to take off the belt, and use a 19mm socket and breaker bar to turn it slightly in the right direction. Then check again to see if it lines up.

Then, put on the new belt/tensioner/etc.

Then check it again (the lower mark with the belt on). If it lines up now, good. Do not pull the pin out yet on the tensioner. If it does not, remove the belt and adjust again.

Once it lines up, with belt on, turn the crankshaft 1 or 2 complete revoltions, then check the top marks and lower marks again. If everything lines up, you are good to go.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:38 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Timing belt problem. Timing off?

By the way, I dont know if this is exact or not for your car, mine was the 1.8t.

But, there should be similar marks for the lower camshaft so you can line it up if the belt jumped a few teeth. Thats what mine did.

You would know when turning the engine by hand if things were way off, beacuse you would probably hear some strange noises.