Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long term storage revival...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 02:49 AM
1st Gear
Default long term storage revival...

Hey guys, hope you can help me with this one:

I've just come back to the uk after working at a kids sumer camp in the US for the last 3 months. Great fun, but sadly it meant that my beloved car was sitting in storage for those weeks. I changed the oil before putting it away, gave it a really good clean and wax, disconnected the battery, and left it in a garage under a cover.

Much to my joy, it started today on the second turn of the crank. My elation was swiftly removedhowever when I found that the car keeps on cuttingout whenever the revs drop at all quickly. It will sit fine on idle, and was working perfectly before storage. I took it for an hours run today but still the problem persists.

The symptoms are similar to that with a dirty throttle body or idle control valve,but can these parts get clogged during storage?

A mate told me the battery may just need replacing, but it seems to have plenty kick in it to get the starter motor going.

Any ideas fellas?

Cheers, Rob.

97 A4 2.8 30V qm.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:51 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: long term storage revival...

Did you let it do a throttle body alignment? I don't know how much that can affect it... but it's a thought.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:55 AM
Site Moderator

Put a fresh tank of gas in there. When I deploy I try to keep my gas tank around 1/4 full so that when I get back I can get some fresh gas in asap.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:56 AM
1st Gear

what exactly would that involve?

Old 09-03-2005, 02:57 AM
1st Gear

well there was very little in it when it put it away, and Ive now run almost a quarter tank through it

Old 09-03-2005, 02:59 AM
Site Moderator

Get it scanned. Autozone does free diagnostic checks.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:59 AM
5th Gear

The throttle body alignment, or TBA is done after you reconnect the battery... put the key in the ignition, and turn it to accessory. Leave it there for like 2 minutes, until the throttle body is done clicking and stuff.

And yeah... run some high octane fuel through it, with a bottle of injector cleaner, for kicks. Though, I doubt any of this will fix your problem... Hmm... wierd what storage can do. I've stored cars for the past 3 winters... its a PITA. I've got fuel stabalizer, and some flogging crap now... I'm a pro. :P

Old 09-03-2005, 03:03 AM
1st Gear

thanks, I give it a try. You dont think there could be like fuel deposition on the injectors or something? I guess Ill give the trottle body a clean with carb-cleaner too. Do you ynow if there's easy acces to the idle control valve?

Old 09-03-2005, 03:43 AM
Zombie Defense Force

ya u need to let the throttle body realign it self. mine takes 15 minuts sometimes before it is done. if i dont allow enough time, then when i drive and slow down to a stop sign the car will stall out. but it usually takes a while

Old 09-03-2005, 05:34 AM
4th Gear

It just sounds like bad gas to me. That stuff startes to seperate after like a month. and what is this about the tb, do tell more.

Quick Reply: long term storage revival...