Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody double clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 10:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Does anybody double clutch?

Ive been finding double clutching on my new a4 2.8Q to be far too rough....does anybody else find the same thing?? if u don't double clutch what do u do in its place (ex. for a downshift for large gaps between gears like 4>2).

Old 10-09-2006, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Does anybody double clutch?

When i do long jumps, im generally not doing them super fast jsut because of the nature of when you would do them. so generally (most common is 5th to 3rd at around 55 to pass a loser on the highway) i clutch in, put it in neutral with clutch in, rev it up to around matching point, and gently push it into 3rd until it pops in and then let the clutch out. this is so the syncros still speed up the tranny, but it doesnt jerk the **** out of them.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

EDIT- Oops I read that last post wrong...

Anyway- I double clutch a lot. It's super smooth in my car and if done right super super quick (for me (I've practiced a lot) just as quick as a normal down shift).

Old 10-09-2006, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

When I double clutch, I clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, floor the gas/throttle near redline, and then clutch in, shift to gear, and clutch out (all the way). But I am also new to driving manual so my technique may be rusty, but I have been taught by a professional as far as the technique.......do you agree with it?

For the 1st reply, did u mean that u rev it while u have the clutch depressed?

Old 10-09-2006, 11:11 PM
2nd Gear

yesssir. as to match the engine to the drivetrain before the synchros match the transmission to the drivetrain.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

Not bad AudiCross.......do u know if that harms the transmission or clutch? For anyone else do use the method I suggested, and if so, is it rough??

Old 10-10-2006, 12:01 AM
2nd Gear

no actually i just rev it until it starts bouncing off the rev limiter and engage the clutch!

Old 10-10-2006, 12:06 AM
2nd Gear

I do it just like AudiCross does. I don't think it hurts anything doing it that way, you are rev matching.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 AM
1st Gear

As far as wear and tear goes, a perfect non-doublecluth downshift does virtually no where, but in terms of consistancy (at least for me) I can nail a perfect DC downshift more than a normal downshift so I tend to do that.

As far as revving to red line, that's fine but with practice you shouldn't need to, you'll get good at revmatching, you can actually feel it in the gear shift lever, it'll kind of clink into place.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 AM
2nd Gear

No it is not rough. It is only rough if you dont match the engine properly, but its that way no matter how you shift.

I cant see it hurting anything really. because when you push the clutch down, you are compleetly isolating the engine from anything else.

the point of double clutching is to speed the transmission up to the transmission gently to reduce strain on the synchros.

Quick Reply: Does anybody double clutch?