AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   what are these noises??? and why cant any mechanic find it (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/what-these-noises-why-cant-any-mechanic-find-44291/)

rnbguy 10-19-2006 01:55 PM

what are these noises??? and why cant any mechanic find it

man if anyone figures this out their better then 3 of my local mechanics....they couldnt figure it out

basically my car makes a noise while im driving, not when im idling... it sound like im dragging a chain and at the same time it sounds like my wheels are rubbing on something, my car is very low but its not rubbing i dont think....

the noise goes in a wheel motion, so when i slow down it slowwwwwws down to but it gets lowder as im slowing down....

what could it be and what can i do to diagnose it?

i know its comming from back right wheel its really loud from backseat

please help its embarrasing driving a worked audi that makes loud noises

Mike@PureMS 10-19-2006 01:56 PM

RE: what are these noises??? and why cant any mechanic find it

Have him check your wheels bearings.

techbod 10-19-2006 02:06 PM

18" wheels:) check the inside wall of the rear tyres it could be touching the suspension strut

rnbguy 10-19-2006 03:29 PM

i wanna try learn on my own first, bcuz these mechanics are getting anoyed too they cant figure it out the morons...

is it hard for me to check

CRAZYHAWK 10-19-2006 03:33 PM

Is the noise louder when you turn left?

montic 10-19-2006 05:23 PM

This same thing happened to me. The dealer or the 2 independent mechanics I took it to couldnt figure it out. It turned out after a lot of messing around under the car it was the center support bearing on my driver shaft.

18T 10-19-2006 05:30 PM

check your wheel bearings.

david9999 10-19-2006 09:30 PM

Either you have rusted calipers and your brake pads are not retracting
2. You have wide tires and your tires are rubbing

3. You have a wheel bearing going. Drive slowly (20 mph) and slightly turn the steering one way and then the other and see if the noise changes. Wheel bearing noise sounds like a grinding noise. It gets worse when you turn the wheel away from the noise and less when you turn the wheel toward the noise.

4. Could be a bad tire. Move that tire to the front and see if the noise stays in the same place. If it moves to the front then it is a bad tire.

My money is on a wheel bearing.

rnbguy 10-20-2006 01:17 AM

okay gave it a go, the sound isnt grinding its more a rubbing noise.... and it doesnt change pitch based on direction, its weird bcuz it happen over 40km when taking off, but when slowing down itll keep making noise till i completly stop....

also if sometimes (rarely) it doesnt make the noise while driving, itll start again when i hit a small bump, dent in the road....

It use to only happen when turning left at the start, now it always happens..., i dont think its rubbing bcuz ive had that problem on other car and u can feel where tyre gets burning hot from rubbing...

Zrowcool 10-20-2006 01:46 AM

may be a really simple one but very easy to check and very often overlooked. Can it be a stone, glass, or nail/screw in your tire. That would explain it going with the speed of your tire and it can also fall out explaining why they can find it. A bit of a longshot but worth a go.