Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When installing axle, please tighten all bolts....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:22 PM
2nd Gear
Default When installing axle, please tighten all bolts....

Sounds bad huh? Yeah. Well it looks bad when your car isn't goign anywhere and you check underneath it to find an axle laying on the ground.

For the last couple of months the a4 has been running weird and nobody has had a clue what the problem was. Above 3k RPM when giving the car some throttle.. the thing would start stuttering. It didn't happen all the time, but when it starts happening, it happens alot.

So it turns out it's because the shop I had install a new left front axle for me didn't freakin tighten the thing down. So now you know the symptom of a loose axle!!! Other than.. you know... falling out.

Even more confusing, the car was throwing a code 17964 - which is an intermittent pressure problem. So naturally, i thought the car was stuttering above 3k b/c it was loosing pressure. This threw everybody off even more. But what the hell, the thing runs beautifully now, and the shop who installed my axle is gonna get a nice call tomorrow!!!

thought i'd share that with everyone.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:25 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: When installing axle, please tighten all bolts....

lock tight is your friend

Old 12-05-2006, 09:06 PM

Haha, only like 3 of e bolts on my axle are tightened correctly. well i think i wasn't sure exactly what torques spec to put it to( cause there was 2) so i ust kinda guessed the middle. al the other bolts are stripped to far to tighten completly(damn audi and there fancy tools). It runs fin and all but i guess i should replace them bolts one of these days.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:22 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Bondga

Haha, only like 3 of e bolts on my axle are tightened correctly. well i think i wasn't sure exactly what torques spec to put it to( cause there was 2) so i ust kinda guessed the middle. al the other bolts are stripped to far to tighten completly(damn audi and there fancy tools). It runs fin and all but i guess i should replace them bolts one of these days.

well if your car starts to do some stuttering under power (jolts around a little bit, doesn't accelerate smoothly), you know you need to get those bolts replaced