AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   Whine/whistle coming from 2.8l engine? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/whine-whistle-coming-2-8l-engine-49401/)

Office04 12-18-2006 06:09 PM

Whine/whistle coming from 2.8l engine?

I replaced the serpentine belt tensioner pulley thinking that was the problem but it stil makes this strange whine/ kind of whistle that increases with engine RPM. I cant even hear it outside of the car but inside its audible. It sounds kind of funny but it almost sounds like a supercharger if that helps. I just thought someone else might have had this problem that could help me out before I go replacing every pulley on the car trying to find problem. Its on a 2.8l.
Thanks.

acetrebo 12-18-2006 06:11 PM

RE: Whine/whistle coming from 2.8l engine?

Sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere, and are hearing a "whine" through the car speakers.

ProOnThaSnow 12-18-2006 06:19 PM

Try turning the stereo off, and see if it goes away.... My car makes a faint whining noise too, but it goes away when the radio is turned off, and when its turned up, you cant hear it either. No one notices it but myself.

wood_e 12-18-2006 06:26 PM

Check your radio ground and check for a vacuum leak or cracked hoses.

Pson 12-18-2006 07:10 PM

Could be your waterpump is starting to go bad. Thats not a good sound if you know what I mean.

Office04 12-18-2006 07:30 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I double checked just to make sure the sound wasnt coming from the radio and now I am positive it isnt. Its coming from the engine for sure. Its a little louder now and is just a loudwhistle sound. It doesnt sound like a vacuumleak but more like a bad pulley. I thought it might be the water pump but theres really no way to be sure. Thanks again.

acetrebo 12-18-2006 07:38 PM

Have someone rev the engine while you try to isolate the sound in the engine compartment. If you can hone in on the location, we can give you a better idea of what may be causing it.

StevenTownsend 12-18-2006 11:47 PM

power steering about to go? maybe a leak? check your fluids.

Pson 12-19-2006 12:31 AM

No way..its the ten in the waterpump. They always go bad and in 2002 to 2003 the borke around 40,000 miles. Might as well get the TB done and all the gaskets too (oil smell will go). But you will not have to do it for another 80,000 miles

Trey25 12-19-2006 01:31 AM

Possibly a pulley or even the starter. Mine has a very audible whine, even though the volts are fine I know its on the way out. What you could do is remove the drive belt and start the car, no whine isolates the problem to a pulley or whatever the pulley is connected to, and you'll know its not coming from the engine which is good.