Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF? A few ODD quirks about my new AUDI...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 09:22 PM
1st Gear
Default WTF? A few ODD quirks about my new AUDI...

SO, I just got a 97 A4 2.8QM... And for the record, I'm very pleased with it overall. BUT, there are a few little things that I just don't understand.

First of all, what the hell is the idea behind having a smaller rear view mirror on the passenger side? It looks goofy as all hell IMHO... Crazy Germans... Whats the story with replacements? Maybe the stock mirror from a 99.5-01??? Let me know, I'm an Audi n00b in full force... []

The engine... It's sloooooooooooooooow, guys... I'm planning on a chip/intale/exhaust setup within a few weeks, which should keep me going for a little while...

BUT, I need to know what my options are as far as swaps go.

S4 swap? Do people do this on a realistic budget? Realistic = less than $6000 for the engine, not including labor. Links to any place to buy used/good condition Audi engines??? Again, completely new to Audi... All this damn Honda info is doing me no good anymore!!!

98-01 30v V6 swap? I'd like to know where to look for one of these... A nice rebuilt 30V with a PES SC would be another route. probably more fun than a stock S4 swap, but most likely a little more expensive too I'm thinking?...

HAHA, one more thing I noticed... Apparently, people don't drink anything while driving in Germany either, because the cup holders are the WORST I've ever experienced HAHA... I got a lapful of coffee the other day, that was freakin pleasent...[&:]

Any links/info is appreciated!!!!!!!

Nate

Old 12-28-2005, 09:42 PM
18T
4th Gear
Default RE: WTF? A few ODD quirks about my new AUDI...

no realistic s4 swap, sorry!

there really isnt any performance mods for the 2.8 out there. if u want to mod sell it and get a 1.8T.

all u can do pretty much is just intake, suspension and exaust. oh there is a chip but its like only 10hp i think for 300$.

The good thing about the 2.8 is that u can supercharge it for 5000$.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:45 PM
2nd Gear

i dont even think you can chip a 96' or 97' 2.8L they had japenese ecus 98' the 30v came out and it has bosch ecu, in my advise do what i did, sell the 2.8 and get a 1.8t

Old 12-28-2005, 09:52 PM
2nd Gear

that pretty much covers it overall the 1.8t is your best friend for modding. Do you have a 12v or 30v?

Old 12-28-2005, 09:56 PM
4th Gear

If its a 97 then he has the 12v. There is quite a bit to be done to these motors. unfortunatly, it all need a good deal on knolage (no real bolt ones). there are castings in the heads and intake manifold that are by my deff. a discrase to engine builders everywhere. what some have said can be worth some pretty good numbers. theres other stuff, I will try and find the link and welcome to the 12v family.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

welcome to the 12v family.
Thanks, but I gotta say, I'm planning on swapping for a 30v if possible...

Can a 1.8T and tranny be swapped into my body? Sorry for the super-n00b questions guys... I'm really just trying to get a basic idea here. I really don't want to get rid of the chasis... It has only 60xxx miles on it, no accidents of any kind... ever... You get the idea, it's a legit rolling shell, if you will HAHA... BUT IT"S FREAKING SLOOOOOOOOOOOW...[:@]

30v swap? 1.8T swap? Can someone point me in the right direction? I have no idea where to find good deals on used Audi engines... []

Nate

Old 12-28-2005, 10:05 PM
4th Gear

personaly, I'm not much of the used engine kinda guy. I like building all my things new. I can also tell you that the answers your going to hear are to go find a car that already has what your looking for i.e. no engine swap. I can't imagin that It would be taribly difficult to do but, I also havent pulled one out of an audi. you are looking at new suspetion on either swap cus of the weight diff. and then wiring harnesses are gonna be diff. imao, Either work with what you have or get a 1.8t or 30V car and start from there.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

If I could find a legit 1.8TQM with 60xxx in my area, I would have been all over it.

But I swear to god, Oregon has only tiptronic A4s...[&:][][:@][:'(]

I undertand the need for suspension upgrades, but I'm betting the weight difference between a SOHC 12v 2.8ltr V6 and a DOHC 30v 2.8ltr V6 can't be more than maybe 40-70 lbs... Any info on actual weight differences, or links to any Audi tuner pages where people have done swaps???

Obviously a new engine/tranny will need a new harness, as is the case with pretty much any modern day car... Any links to pages that sell longblocks?

BTW, will by 12v V6 tranny work with a 30v???

Thanks guys, you've all been very helpfull!

Nate

Old 12-28-2005, 11:38 PM
2nd Gear

pretty much any kind of swap is going to cost you more than the car cost you

Old 12-28-2005, 11:57 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Nate047

But I swear to god, Oregon has only tiptronic A4s...[&:][][:@][:'(]
from oregon? mee too. portland..

Quick Reply: WTF? A few ODD quirks about my new AUDI...