Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

How to add GPS Nav to A5 without MMI

Old 11-18-2010, 11:09 AM
1st Gear
Default How to add GPS Nav to A5 without MMI

I recently purchased a 2010 Audi A5 without the Audi MMI. The car came equipped with the Audi Concert Radio and a Sirius Satellite receiver and shark-tooth satellite antenna. I’ve learned that I can use the screen/display to view a video input, if I install a Navigation-Interface module such as the AUDI A5/S5 2010-2011 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE from Navtool (http://www.navtool.com/audia53.aspx)

What I really would like to do is add GPS Navigation functionality. I do not want to purchase a hand-held GPS Unit and suction-cup it to the dashboard. I'm trying to find out if there is a reasonable-priced way to add the GPS Nav functionality, as if i came from the factory.

I’m aware that I can purchase a navigation module, such as the Farenheit USA Plug-N-Play Add-on GPS Navigation Module, NAVIBOX-1, http://www.farenheitusa.com/addons.html Unfortunately, I’m assuming that one needs touch-screen input capability to use the Farenheit add-on GPS Navigation module however, the screen in my 2010 Audi A5 is not capable of touch-screen input. In addition, the display screen in my A5 is an integral part of the vehicle’s audio/climate control, telephone/Bluetooth systems, as well as other vehicle controls.

How can I integrate GPS Navigation functionality into the A/V system of my 2010 Audi A5 without effecting how the display screen is used to control key vehicle and A/V functions?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

HI,
I believe that what you want to do is possible - I have added an aftermarket GPS nav box to my Q5, and all of the components of the A5's "infotainment" system are identical (as are recent A4s), including the screen and wiring.
The system that I have used needed a little customising, but essentially it provides the OEM LCD screen with touch-screen functionality, and inserts the GPS display into the signal line that feeds to the screen when you select it. It also has inputs for a DVD player, and a reversing camera...
I have PM'ed the OP with more details, if anyone wants to know more then feel free to drop me a PM.

cheers,
..Neil

Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by moonan
HI,
I believe that what you want to do is possible - I have added an aftermarket GPS nav box to my Q5, and all of the components of the A5's "infotainment" system are identical (as are recent A4s), including the screen and wiring.
The system that I have used needed a little customising, but essentially it provides the OEM LCD screen with touch-screen functionality, and inserts the GPS display into the signal line that feeds to the screen when you select it. It also has inputs for a DVD player, and a reversing camera...
I have PM'ed the OP with more details, if anyone wants to know more then feel free to drop me a PM.

cheers,
..Neil
PM sent. Thanks for your help

Old 06-05-2013, 10:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Wanting to add factory nav to concert radio

Hi there

I am in the same boat. I have a 2011 i just bought but it too does not have the nav. I have the concert radio with sat and phone hands free. I am wanting to upgrade to the factory mmi3g NAV. I have heard it can be do e but find very little in the way of how. I spoke with the dealer and they say it cannot be done.

Appreciate anyones help with this.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2013, 07:00 PM
1st Gear
Default navi

I own a 2013 audi a5 but i do not have a navi. i want install the navi now. is it possible to purchase? and how ?

Old 11-01-2013, 09:49 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by moonan
HI,

cheers,
..Neil
I would definitely like to add that to my A5 sportback - thanks

Old 11-01-2013, 08:00 PM
1st Gear

me too guys ! can i get a pm as well?

Old 11-02-2013, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

I have been wanting to add this to my 2011 Q5. Please PM me too!

Old 01-29-2015, 02:36 AM
1st Gear
Default Gps

Hi. I've just bought an Audi A5
Se TFSI. Same problem no sat nav. Could some one please pm me how this is done. I would be most grateful as is mainly for the missus.
Thank you in advance.
Paul.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:21 AM
1st Gear
Default me too

I'm on the same boat. 59 plate audi a5 2.0 TDI - I would love to have nav functionality. could someone pm me the details of this.

Search this Thread