Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

2.0 Turbo Timing Chain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 11:49 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.0 Turbo Timing Chain Issue

We own an 2.0 Turbo in an A5.

We endured the lies and denial of the oiling issue. I kid you not we were getting 400 miles per quart and 17 MPG at the end.

Within the first 1k we took it back 2 times for check engine lights. They claimed to clear the codes and were back on the road.

We just had it towed (for the 6th time in 98k miles) as it chugged to a stop.

Now we face a dilemma. Audi has denied they have a timing chain tensioning issue. So they won't stand behind a claimed $7k-$14k repair to the timing chain, valves and possibly the new pistons...

Do we:
a. Have a independent repair it?
b. Trade it in as is and take the hit that a $55k car is now worth $5500 after 4 years and 98k miles
c. Have the dealer repair it?

Thoughts?

HELP!

Old 03-05-2016, 01:08 PM
1st Gear

I would say, at the mileage you're currently at with the car..... Not a lot, or Any dealer's service groups are going to be willing to incur such a big hit to their bottom line on your car. I know that is not what any owner wants to hear, but unless you've got some seriously bullet proof extended warranty that was beyond that of the manufacturer's, and you've NOT exceeded the mileage, or "time span" that is dictated beyond said warranty. You may be facing a VERY real, but VERY hard to swallow reality.

Especially when it comes to timing belts, chains, etc.. either slipping/breaking etc.. It is very well known that most engines can easily have the valves, pistons, cylinders, and much much more collectively be destroyed all at once from a timing chain/belt being damaged.

It's a prime reason that from my experience as a seasoned NSX owner for years, that you get to see first hand what happens when maintenance intervals are ignored, or simply ignorance to the fact that..... Cars have a ton of "consumable" parts that are the engine's lifeblood.

A broken timing belt on a friends NSX resulted in numerous bent valves, shattered pistons, and ultimately a blown useless $25,000 engine.

I've cringed every time I've had to pay $1400 for a new timing belt & water pump every 5,000 miles on that damn car. But $1400 is a spit in the ocean, when you're faced with not a repair....But replacing an engine, or selling a car that you probably may still owe money on.

You may be able to find a shop that works on German cars, and is willing to take on the task at a far less dollar amount. But at the end of the day, it sounds like you've got a high mileage car that is in need of some dire help. OR, the possibility of it being beyond what your wallet can help....

Old 03-25-2016, 12:39 AM
1st Gear

My wife's 2012 Q5 stranded her at 72K with the timing chain issue. I've owned cars with timing belts and they lasted longer than that. The car was meticulously maintained my the dealer under Audi care. This is a major design flaw and we need to make Audi acknowledge it.