Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Thanksgiving Catastrophe

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 05:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Thanksgiving Catastrophe

I have a 2011 A5, So Driving from Savannah, GA to Nashville, TN and just had my 45k maintenance done last friday with new Ignition coals. I get to Chattanooga, TN and switch over to manual shifting and accelerate. No warning lights or anything and all of a sudden as I am accelerating the engine starts stuttering car starts shaking and then poof, I am blowing white smoke out the exhaust like a snow storm. Anyways end state is had it towed to Nashville Audi and the Fuel pump went out on me.

Anyone else have this happen with this little mileage?

Old 11-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Tech Certified

The crankcase vent valve probably went bad. Try removing the oil cap with the engine running. If is difficult like the engine is in vacuum it probably bad.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:56 AM
1st Gear

It is in the dealers shop they said it should be good to go today, bad fuel pump they said. But just wondering for what we pay has anyone else had part failures with low mileage?

Old 12-01-2013, 12:31 PM
1st Gear

You sure they said fuel pump? Not sure how a pump could fail and cause white smoke...................Transfer pump (in tank) or high pressure (on engine)?

White smoke generally indicates coolant burning OR raw fuel from (for example) a stuck open injector. Did they maybe say fuel INJECTOR and is it a 2.0T? When I was an Audi tech, recall replacing a lot of injectors in those for sticking wide open, dumping raw fuel and generally causing all sorts of grief for the customer. This was on both Audi and VW 2.0T. Usually it would be as you describe, everything is fine and then POOF dead miss, white smoke, raw fuel dripping from the t-pipes.

I'm sure they will do this but make sure they also changed the engine oil after repair. With and injector stuck open (if that's what happened) some of the fuel will make it's way past the rings into the crankcase and dilute the oil.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by Sundays Hero
I have a 2011 A5, So Driving from Savannah, GA to Nashville, TN and just had my 45k maintenance done last friday with new Ignition coals. I get to Chattanooga, TN and switch over to manual shifting and accelerate. No warning lights or anything and all of a sudden as I am accelerating the engine starts stuttering car starts shaking and then poof, I am blowing white smoke out the exhaust like a snow storm. Anyways end state is had it towed to Nashville Audi and the Fuel pump went out on me.

Anyone else have this happen with this little mileage?
White smoke , fuel pump relay really??????