Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 A6 4.2q

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 01:53 PM
1st Gear
Default 00 A6 4.2q

Hello all,
I just bought a 2000 A6 4.2 L with 71K miles and so far so good. I had the vehical checked by 2 independant German services. All lights are green. I replaced the tires, brake rotors/pads and a fresh oil change.

Can anyone give advice on pitfalls to look for with this model? Also I can't seem to find where I can check the transmissin fluid level(help).

Thanks in advanced!

NUG(New Useless Guy)

P.S. anyone opinions on Lubro Moly additives and motor oil products and additives?

Old 08-25-2006, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 00 A6 4.2q

Congratulations and welcome!

As far as pitfalls, here's a few things to keep in mind...

Front control arms will eventually wear out. If you hear a clunking noise when going over bumps, it would be wise to check for this. Timing belt should be replaced at around 90k miles. When you have that done, you should also replace the water pump, pulleys, tensioners, etc. (anything the timing belt touches). Count on a $1-1.5k bill. The good news is that the 4.2 is a very reliable engine (an Audi engineer I met recently considers it one of Audi's most reliable).

To get a lot of your questions answered, you will want to get familiar with searching -- these forums contain a TON of information and answers to virtually any question you could ask. Searching will help you find what has already been written and either answer your question before creating a new post or helping you to refine the question you do need to post by giving you important background.

You may also want to check out the "suggested readings" list I have in my registry (see my signature for a link to it). In particular, check out "Stoney's Links" -- it's the be all-end all of A6 information resources.

Happy motoring.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 00 A6 4.2q

Thanks for the info!

NUG