Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 2.7t Manual transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:57 PM
1st Gear
Default '01 2.7t Manual transmission fluid change

Good Afternoon, all:

Got a quick question that I couldn't find a solid answer to though the search. How much fluid does the 2.7t MT6 transmission take on a standard change (ie: just removing the drain plug and refilling it though the top port). I've read 2 liters, 4 liters.....? I'm going to change mine in the near future, but at like 15 bucks a liter for the synthethic stuff, I don't wanna buy more than I need!

Thanks in advance!
-Red

Old 11-13-2008, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear

You should be able to return the unused/unopened bottles.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 AM
2nd Gear

Update,

The 6-speed, code EDU takes 2.3l.
What oil you plan to use?

Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
2nd Gear
Lightbulb

My Bentley manual says 2.4 qts, so go ahead and buy 3 bottles...!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

I have been having some trouble/concerns on this issue. I know this is an old thread. But I will start here. We picked up an 05 allroad 2.7 manual. I changed the rear differential with gl5, it took about 1.6 ish quarts as the bentley described.
The manual gearbox and front/center differential are another issue altogether.
Because the manual gearbox and front/center diff share the same fluid you cannot use gl5 due to the synchros so after lengthy reading I got 4 quarts of MT90. The bentley says that with the gearbox oil cooler, the manual gearbox takes 3.8 quarts because it also fills the front/center diff. There were two drain plugs, one under the gearbox, the other under the from/center diff. I drained them both, not nasty fluid but dirty nonetheless.
I let it drain for a few hours, then went to fill it up. I could not get more than 3 quarts in that gearbox fill hole. I am concerned I have not filled it up properly. I could not locate separate fill port for the front/center diff. I can only conclude that the gearbox oil cooler in the allroad held about a quartish that I could not drain via the plugs alone. My questions, is what kind of capacity have others seen in a refill considering the oil cooler?
Or, is there a separate fill port for the front/center diff apart from the fill port of the 01E manual transmission?

Old 09-18-2011, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

You're one step ahead of me, replaced rear diff. fluid but haven't yet replaced man. trans fluid or front diff. fluid. I have a 2000 A6 2.7T Quattro 6 spd Man. Drain plugs on trans & front diff are obvious (on bottom, as you already know). Front diff. refill plug is left side, but I can't find refill for the trans. either. I've read that they use the same fluid type (75W90), but I'd be surprised if they "share" fluid. If you find refill port, please comment back on where this guy is hiding.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CRuby
I've read that they use the same fluid type (75W90), but I'd be surprised if they "share" fluid.
According to Christian Miller @ 034 Motorsport, the transmission, center, and front differentials do share fluid.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RedShoeRider
Good Afternoon, all:

Got a quick question that I couldn't find a solid answer to though the search. How much fluid does the 2.7t MT6 transmission take on a standard change (ie: just removing the drain plug and refilling it though the top port). I've read 2 liters, 4 liters.....? I'm going to change mine in the near future, but at like 15 bucks a liter for the synthethic stuff, I don't wanna buy more than I need!

Thanks in advance!
-Red
Check the year model Tranny code with yours ... should be 5HP19FLA.
http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/u...s/5HP19FLA.pdf

http://www.audiction.com/audi-mainte...-fluid-change/

Photos re tranny svc A6
http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_f...on_fluid.shtml

Last edited by bigdadi; 09-18-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the surprise. So then is there only the one refill location on the front diff left side, & none on trans. If so, no wonder I couldn't find it.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

Quick Reply: '01 2.7t Manual transmission fluid change