Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 2.7T wierd noises when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Default 02 2.7T wierd noises when cold

Just bought an 02 2.7T that just turned 28k miles. I know sounds are hard to diagnose but..I noticed when its cold, just after start up it makes a weird muffled buzzing sound coming from the front. Also the sound of liquid pouring on the ground, or a water faucet running...but there are no leaks anywhere. Only makes these sound for about 1-5 minutes or until warm.

Theres a bit of a bumpiness to the idle. air filter was really dirty so I changed that but didn't help. I'm sure its just a tuneup deal. Is there any DIY parts i can clean to help smooth the idle out a bit. Like on my truck I've cleaned my IAC and MAF and that helps allot but i don't know much about these motors.

Thanks

Last edited by RS808; 01-11-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:32 AM
2nd Gear

2002 car with 28k and dirty air filter?
Lady driven?
Service records?
Transmission?

Where all of this is happening?

The " weird muffled buzzing sound coming from the front" is the air induction pump pushing air into the exhoust in order to compensate for the reach mixture during startups.

For the sounds of liquid....
I'd play with the AC settings at cold startup and monitor the noises.

"bumpiness to the idle" should trow DTC - you need code reader to scan DTC.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:36 AM
2nd Gear

I believe the noise you hear when starting the cold engine is the secondary air pump. Normal noise.
As far as bumpiness, I would start with new plugs since you already replaced the air filter. An injector cleaner in oyur next tank of gas couldn't hurt either.
Although your car has very low mileage ti is still 7 yo so you may want to check all hoses for cracks or leaks, and replace the TBB and both DVs as preventive measure.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 PM
2nd Gear

One more suggestion- having this low mileaage could suggest the long periods between drivings or very short trips.
Gas could get as a jelly and the crankcase ventilation gets plugged.

I'd go as mentioned - with aggresive fuel system purge - professional grade of concentration (one can for no more than a gallon).

Engine flush as well...

Old 01-12-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by nemohm
2002 car with 28k and dirty air filter?
Lady driven?
Service records?
Transmission?

Where all of this is happening?

The " weird muffled buzzing sound coming from the front" is the air induction pump pushing air into the exhoust in order to compensate for the reach mixture during startups.

For the sounds of liquid....
I'd play with the AC settings at cold startup and monitor the noises.

"bumpiness to the idle" should trow DTC - you need code reader to scan DTC.
Yes lady driven, smelled of strong perfume when we bought it.
No service records
AT Transmission is great. fluids look good, don't smell burn. shifts very smooth
I'm in Oregon. temperatures have been bouncing between 30-45F

There are no Codes showing but doesn't mean one isn't stored so ill check that out.
As for the rest of the replies, ill peek around for any cracked hoses, probably change the plugs and run some cleaner through it. Any suggestions on the cleaner for this car. I've always used Seafoam on my truck with no issues. Thanks again

Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 PM
2nd Gear

Any dealer will provide the owner with all service records... Just ask..