Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 A6 3.0 trany filter change... now whines when shifting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:15 AM
2nd Gear
Default 02 A6 3.0 trany filter change... now whines when shifting.

02 A6 3.0 1 month ago I Changed my Transmission fluid and filter with blau parts kit.
I noticed a whine when it shifted and fluid level was OK. I figure a whine at shifting for a few seconds says it's starving for fluid. I also figured that the filter does not retain as much oil when it is new so it could be adding some air bubbles or foam and that would also basically mean you should over fill a little to compensate.

I have debated the filter not retaining oil with a lot of mechanics who have experienced this problem on several different vehicles...
Mostly BMW.

Fearing a problem I brought it to Audi they changed the fluid and gave it back to me with a whine. Reassuring me that 90% of the population depends on the rest of us to survive...IDIOTS, I already did that myself for 1/3 the price.

So I filled it until it went away. It shifts much better now and only makes noise in the morning shifting into second for the first couple times until fluid heats and expands.

When I stuffed the filter in it was T I G H T !!!
I though I heard the trany let out a little moan it was so tight, It had the ribbed preassebled o-ring gasket on it, and as I recall years ago a friend of mine changed a BMW filter 3 times OEM trying to get rid of the whine - never did so he filled it till it shut up.

I Absolutely can't let the trany whine but now it's overfilled. Has anyone experienced this problem and corrected it by replacing the filter again. I do not think it is filled so high as to compensate for the filter seal leaking but with the car in motion it could be. I am thinking that the filter seal could be bad. I also will never install a filter again without presoaking it for a few days.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Site Moderator

Do you have a quattro? Approx how many liters are in the trans?

Old 04-11-2009, 06:00 PM
2nd Gear

Yes it's a quattro.
The Manual says it holds 9.8L
The first time I drained ~6 liters from it. and what ever was in the filter. It took 5 liters to fill it until overflow but 6 to shut it up.

I have a thermometer I measure the fluid temp with.

Then I brought it to Audi They wrote down 4 liters I can't see how that would be accurate. But I brought it home and put in 1.5liters to shut it up. Keep in mind it is overfull now. But it is about what I took out originally. I saved the fluid into jugs just in case my thermometer invention did not work.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:37 PM
4th Gear

The first time I drained ~6 liters from it. and what ever was in the filter. It took 5 liters to fill it until overflow but 6 to shut it up.
6 out, 6 in.

'Whining' is not good, and hard shifting while cold is a sign its low.

As for 'overfilling', I swear Audi tips these things alittle so they can put more in. I just checked mine, and while running, cool temps, it still wanted to come out of the fill hole. I had to scramble to get the plug back in! Fluid looked good though...

Old 04-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Site Moderator

You can't use a damn thermometer to measure the trans temp, use your vag com and make sure it hits 32degrees celcius. Now remove the fill plug, if nothing is spilling out then there isn't enough in there, i don't think you have it overfull, i think you are still low. The engine has to be running while filling it, when it starts to spill out between temps 32-34 degrees celcius, then the trans is full. I have come across many cars that have been DIY, and turned out to be about 1-2 liters under filled.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Site Moderator

Oh, and if you're not using audi approved fluid, get that junk out of there.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear

I don't have a Vag Com yet it will be here Monday. Sorry man you just told me I needed one last week. Not that I haven’t read about it.

At this point this is what I did.

The fluid is AUDI 23.00 per liter.

First change I used Pentosin, Is there anything wrong with Pentosin? I hope not because I just ordered two cases of it.

I can not get anymore into the pan with the car level.

I will lay under that car with it running all day long and twice on Sundays. So no problem there. But the Bentley manual Says leave it in PARK- Should it be in a drive gear? Would make more sense to me in gear because it starving to death after shifting out of first. Like it is waiting for the fluid to return or not enough fluid left in the reservoir.

First thing in the morning I put the rear up on stands while its cold pulled the plug and filed it till it poured out. and it still whines as it shifts to second for 2seconds until it warms up for about five minutes. I have been gradually adding more and more until I reached this point.

If the Audi tech was right AND He did put only 4 liters in. Then the car has exactly the same amount of fluid in it now as the amount I took out originally.(maybe 1/3 Liter less) I can not imagine how he could do that considering it takes more to fill the pan.

As soon as the Vag Com gets here I will re check with that but You Know I'll have fluid running down my arm when I open the plug. With it running. Unless it should be in Nuetral or Drive.

Thinking about this for awhile. The trany may have what it needs now or will with 1/3 Liter more. That is what I took out. I do not think anyone ever changed that fluid before. My only concern was the filter seal but it was super tight and the only way to check it is to replace it again. But if it were leaking I would have to overfill it to shut it up. There is air left in the pan so shouldn't it be whining all the time? Fluid is NOT foamed as it pours out I was looking for that. So there you are.

Have you ever had one you had to overfill before?

I'll have to replace the filter again with an Audi OEM. Or I'll be forever locked into this dilemma wondering if that seal is leaking or why why why. I was STUPID to use aftermarket on the transmission anyway-I have been spoiled by the Chevy trucks and a great parts supplier. I have only owned Audi for two months like them so much I bought 2. I am in a little learning curve so bear with me I'll get there. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:58 PM
4th Gear

Dude.. As said, mine leaks out if its level, cold, and running. Was serviced at the dealer AFAIK, so there must be something to it. Tip the car alittle if you must.

As for park or in gear, as with any tranny, you run it through the gears stopping for 5-10secs in each.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Site Moderator

After you have put in the first 5 liters, you should hold your foot on the brake, shift through all the gears then put it back into park. Monitor the temp and keep filling it until its full. Another thing, how are you filling the trans? Its supposed to use a tool that gravity feeds it from a tank that you mount on the hood when its up, it has to be higher than the trans to fill it up, thats the ONLY way i have gotten enough fluid in there. Trying to get under the car and jamming it up in there will only spill back out at you and you won't know if its full or not because fluid will always be spilling out.
There is nothing wrong with pentosin per se, im just very picky when it comes to the trans fluid on a ZF gearbox. The ZF gearbox just doesn't like any other fluid other than the factory stuff, others have claimed that pentosin works fine so i would just stick with it. However you do need the special fill tools and a vag com to get this correct, if you try and hack it, it will come out crappy every time.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear

First off midnitoyl I hear you. The dealer Just gave it to me without Vaseline. I know I took out 6L and I could just shove 6 liters back in there. Thanks for your input though but that is what I have been doing. I am trying to be a bit more technical and fill it correctly. I know I am doing something wrong and eventually we are going to figure out exactly what that is.
Bet you peeled the stickers off the Rubiks cube didn't you. You know you did.

So back to filling it.

I have been pumping it in slowly I have to slide the tube in a few inches or it will spill out like your saying. I pump it and it backs right out. The gravity tool you are referring to. I need one of those. Do you happen to have the part number? I'll ask at Audi parts tomorrow. Where does it connect through the fill or the drain? That would be nice, real nice or I could I make one of those. Aren't you supposed to retire in Florida? I could give you a nice headache in person here.

I definitely think it’s under filled now and I “F”ed up the procedure. Maybe I’ll buy two of those tanks and give one to the Audi mechanic for an Easter present.

Thanks guys – Happy Easter

Quick Reply: 02 A6 3.0 trany filter change... now whines when shifting.