Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 A6 4.2, Symphony II works, kinda... sorta :/

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:33 PM
1st Gear
Default 02 A6 4.2, Symphony II works, kinda... sorta :/

Hey all, I don't know how better to subject this post, sorry )

Anyway, My radio did something weird on me today, and it wont stop. It started when I got in my car to go to lunch. Here's what happens:

-Start the car (or just turn the key on). Radio is off.
-Push in the power button (volume ****) and it turns on and sounds fine.
-The instrument cluster does NOT show anything in the top section like usual, just blackness.
-When I turn the headlights on, the radio's buttons do NOT light up.
-When I turn the car off, the radio does NOT turn off (unless powered off manually).
-My buttons on the steering wheel only work for a second or two after powering the radio on, then they stop working.

Now, I am use to pulling the radio and pulling the fuse to reset it when the unit locks up and the back light is stuck on. So I did that to try to fix this, and i Reseated all the connectors. When I turned it back on, I got "SAFE" for the first time ever. I have removed this radio in the past to install the Blitzsafe RCA adapter (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/bli...auxdmxv1b.html) that I use to connect my XM radio. I never received the SAFE message until now (I assume due to the "Smart anti-theft coding", so long as its the same car, no code needed). This further tells me something is wrong. Anyway, i entered my factory code to unlock the radio, but the same issue is still happening.

So, I removed my Blitzsafe device just to make sure it wasn't the problem (reverted back to factory configuration now), and I get the same results. Anyone seen this happen before? Any tips?

EDIT: Ok, I just found this site and had to repost it for everyone. http://codedradio.info/manuals/panasonic/ I am currently looking through the service manual I found on there for any potential clues...

EDIT 2: That was way over my head. Nevermind. I did just find this http://www.audi-forums.com/car-audio...-ii-radio.html so at least I am not the only one... now to research their hunch. I shall return!

Last edited by gtzpower; 11-10-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:32 AM
1st Gear

Well, I cannot find any way to take the stereo out of transport mode per that last forum link, so there's another dead end. Plus, I am able to play CD's so I don't even think it is transport mode like they were thinking.

I do have a little bit of new info for you all. I noticed the display on the radio is randomly cycling between dimmed and bright. Not sure if that helps diagnosis. I am gonna try disconnecting the battery cable too so ALL of the electronics can reset (any easier way to disconnect all power or do I gotta go straight for the cables).

Old 11-12-2008, 12:48 AM
1st Gear

FIXED!!! YAY... So, I talked to Victor at BlitzSafe (not their issue but he led me to the solution), and he said one of the modules or something needed reset by a mechanic most likely. So, i pulled the fuse panel, and saw 3 fuses that may be related to my radio. pulled them all (#5, K something, and 2 other fuses that mentioned interior lighting and dash lighting or something), and after reinserting, everything is working again.. point being, cycling the power via fuses or battery cables will fix the issue. Sooo happy

Old 03-25-2018, 02:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Thanks

Hi, i have rs4 b7, same problem, just took the 5 th fuse, same succes. Thanks a lot.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:37 PM
Banned

It turns out that this also happens. I have not had such problems. I don't even know how to help you in this situation. Can google Latest Tech News, you can read articles on this 4Pro Media site. All in your hands. but in general, thanks for the post. Maybe someone has the same problems and will be interested in learning about ways to solve them. Thanks again and good luck.

Last edited by amnazid; 10-08-2020 at 04:07 AM.